Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AT&T PC6300 Storage Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Seconded. Even though I'm the current owner of the "cut a hole in the front panel" 6300, I don't recommend it.
    This was quite common for M24 users in old times. Some cut out the hole for floppy drive destroing Ettore Sottsass's design. Others were clever and put a 3.5 inch harddrive vertically besides the floppy bays and put 3,5 floppy where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Not sure if this is/isn't a good thread to mention this in, but I've had reliability issues with a 720K drive in my 6300. It appears to work fine after the typical config.sys "DRIVPARM=/d:1 /f:2 /t:80" line, but I have random silent bit errors that go undetected by DOS even with VERIFY=ON. So, I only use the 720k drive in my 6300 to read .zip files, where it will be obvious if it bit has flipped (pkunzip will complain). I've never been able to nail down what the trouble is.
    Is there some software that can be run to thoroughly test the working of the 720k drive? Does the original CUSTOMER.EXE work with a 720k, ie can it run the floppy drive test for it? (I can try later tonight with mine...)

Blog Entries

Given that all fields (address and data) are generated and checked by the FDC hardware with 16-bit CRCs, a completely "silent" error points to something further up the chain from the FDC. Could be noise on the bus...

Chuck points in the right direction. When M24 was made, it still was common that one had to set/remove terminator resitor arrays on the drives, depending which one is the 1st or 2nd drive, or alone. Later, when 3.5 inch became popular, this was no more common. This change bases on the floppy controller type (like M24) and the used floppy drives. So solution could be trying 3,5 and 5,25 drive as 1st and 2nd drive on the cable, and remove/install the terminator resistor.

Blog Entries

I can give that a shot, although my options might be limited as I want to keep the 5.25" the 1st drive for hopefully obvious reasons.

It's not a dealbreaker -- I usually use that system with a NIC and transfer stuff over FTP anyway -- but I'll poke around the next time I'm inside.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Ok I tried the customer.exe test and it worked fine, all tests passed on the 720k drive. I also remembered one thing: I donít use DRIVPARM! I just boot plain old MS DOS 6.22, on the boot disk that I use I donít even have a config.sys file! It still works though...

Blog Entries

Shouldn't matter until it's time to FORMAT a disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Shouldn't matter until it's time to FORMAT a disk.
    I did that too just now - twice actually - once to prepare the blank disk for the customer.exe test (it requires a formatted disk), and once after the test to make the disk usable again (the write tests do not leave disks in a usable state). I am a bit puzzled.

Blog Entries

That's why you need DRIVPARM--it tells FORMAT what the drive really is.

You could also try FORMAT x: /T:80 /N:9 /U, but without DRIVPARM you'll probably get "Format not supported" or some such error.

For reading and simple writing, the BPB in the boot sector is used.

There's also SETBPB35:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...isc/setbpb.zip

This program will set the device characteristics for the A or the B diskette drive to indicate that the drive is a 720K drive instead of a 360K drive. The only command line parameter is the drive letter (A or B).

For example, to indicate that your B drive is a 720K 3.5" diskette drive:

SETBPB35 B