Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is something you regret doing?

In 1990, I bought a huge blue 1970's terminal/computer for $10 at a flea market. It was metal cased, super heavy, had a 15" colour monitor and 8" floppy drive. After playing around with it for a few days (it started up, but the screen was filled with coloured random characters), I had to find a place to put it while organizing my room. I put it on the balcony under the roof overhang. I forgot that I put it there and left on a trip. It rained hard for the next few days. When I came back, it was filled with water and the case was rusting. I ended up having to trash it.

I had no idea where it was from and still haven't identified it. It must have been a very expensive computer (terminal?) to have colour in the 70's and the 8" floppy drive was a thing of beauty - with giant motors and lots of solid metal parts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Wrecked a WGS 9150 once and stripped it, not knowing at the time what it was.
    You should be shot for that, still looking for a 9150 here.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I dunno, in the 1990's me and my cohorts would be pretty inclined to shoot a mac all things considered.

I threw my first computer in the trash - a lovely Compaq Presario 5000 with 64MB ram and 20GB hard drive and Windows ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Agreed.

I do have one now! But you'll actually have to shoot me first to get it.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

At least 10 years ago I saved several Sun Ultra 5s from a dumpster. I had planned to make a Beowulf cluster out of them for a school project, but after a while neither the school nor my parents would let me hang onto them, after spending a month trying to give them away they ended up in the trash.
    Wanted: TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8341), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Trashing a NEC Starlet 80 character x 40 line laptop because the LCD was shot, but I kept an older version Starlet with the 64x24 line LCD display and the AC powered floppy module. (this I don't regret!) Also tossed any laptop in my inventory that was pre-Pentium as being worthless.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Blog Entries

Do small regrets count?

I snagged an Asus motherboard locally and I found it was missing the proprietary sound card riser so I asked the guy if he had it and he said he didn't think so and would look when he got home. He didn't reply the next day so I ordered one from ebay, an hour later he said he had it so today I have a spare.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Turning down a mint condition Enterprise 128 someone offered me via email with free shipping, to boot, because "I don't really have space for it, thanks." I didn't, at the time, understand what a unicorn this thing is. Arguably the most powerful overall 8-bit system out there (overall). Oy. This was maybe 2003/4.

bp
    :: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog
    :: http://www.bytecellar.com

My dad had one of the "Porsche PETs" up in his loft for years. Didn't work, no idea where he got it from. It was probably given to him. I should have grabbed it but I've no idea where it is now.