Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is something you regret doing?

A friend and I were sent to LA for something, I forget what. We stopped at a surplus place. They had about 100 early PETs. I forget which model. They were $30 each. I wasn't interested at the time.
    I hadn't played with 6502s yet and couldn't see the effort to hall them home.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

I remember at one of those traveling computer shows in the late 90s just before they fell out of fashion seeing a vender with a huge wooden box full of old used mostly VLB video cards for a couple dollars each. This was before I got the collecting bug but still had some of my old cards on the shelf so I did dig around in that a box a little before I moved onto the next stall.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Not keeping the following when my parents were moving: a 3277 keyboard, a 3277 light pen with holder puck (I think these are pretty rare), DisplayWriter keyboard, 3741 Data Station keyboard, IO Selectric, a table my dad made from an 026 card punch.
    Drumwheel printers and Uniscope terminals from a Univac 1103 were decomissioned and being chucked out at Uni, I dragged one of each home and pulled them to bits before dumping.
    Offloading a General Automation SPC-16 mini with ASR33, two Documation card readers and other stuff.
    Last edited by 1944GPW; December 5th, 2019 at 05:10 AM.

When I worked for a Commodore/Amiga dealer in the early 90's, we "cleaned out" the back room of 100's of C64's, 1541's, Apple II's, etc. to the dumpster. Several pickup truck loads.

Nobody wanted them then and people would literally abandon them on the front steps of the store on weekends like a baby at an orphanage.

Does enlisting count?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    My life is full of regrets. Maybe not accepting free stuff offered to me, like a VAX 11/730 or a 1957 T-bird.

Dunno, it's just stuff.
    They say have no regrets, or in the end have no regrets. But I am not wired that way. I'm full of regrets, even if many are small things. Hindsight and all.

Blog Entries

I once had a KIM-1 in a nice custom made case. It had been set up for some sort of industrial use and had all kinds of notations on it for different functions. The base of the case was some kind of ceramic. I never fired it up - at the time I was still green on vintage computers and didn't know how to connect up a power supply for it. I ended up selling it to pay for something else. Years later, I got my hands on a KIM-1 again for about $100 (less than a third of what I paid for the first one), but unfortunately it seems to have a dead RRIOT chip and does not put anything on the display. I often wonder if that other KIM might have worked.

Had a dead Mac Plus (no chime, no raster, no sign of life at all) that I stripped for parts in the early '00s. With all I've learned since, I could probably fix it now.

But at least I was able to use the 68000 CPU from it for my first 68k homebrew.

Most of the people that got one of my debug boards and the kit to make a replacement RRIOT, found that after putting together the debug board, the source of the errors was more mundane than the RRIOT chip. Most often it was a RAM failure. In a few cases, it was the address decoder. Of the 10 kits I sent out, I don't think there was a single RRIOT failure, -002 or -003.
    I would would suspect that may that had the kits would be willing to sell you the RRIOT part of the kit. You might even be able to borrow the debug board to find that something else was the source of failure. It seems common to assume it was one of the most unattainable chips that had failed.
    My KIM-1 did fail from both the RRIOT and the CPU. My guess is the fellow before me connected the 5V to 12V.
    My RRIOT chip replacement fits under the 6532 chip and adds a little more height to that chip but otherwise works as the original, including the interrupts.
    I only made the 10 kits and don't plan on making more but you are welcome to all the design and software I have for the kit. I've been meaning to put it up on github. It uses two small boards that stack under the 6532. One board has flash memory and a PAL to do the decode. The other is to unscramble the I/O pins from the 6532 to the 6530 ( why they did this mess, I'll never know ).
    Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight Elvey; December 7th, 2019 at 09:39 PM.

Wrecked a WGS 9150 once and stripped it, not knowing at the time what it was.

Still wish I had my old A1200 back, though I really needed the money at the time. (I have an A4000T now anyway.)
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html