Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Model F replacement cords?

Default IBM Model F replacement cords?

Just curious if there was a source for replacement cords for these keyboards or if anyone knew a good way to clean them really well. I have a couple now I wanted to pair with computers but the cords are very sticky and gross. I replaced one cord before with one from a junk keyboard but I don't have any more spares now.

Doy want a cord from another junk keyboard?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Doy want a cord from another junk keyboard?
    I would want either a nice used one or a new replacement if there are any available, or if anyone knows a good way to clean them really thoroughly so I can get a few more years out of the one I have

I've got a black cable.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

I wonder if one of these might work...

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Just curious if there was a source for replacement cords for these keyboards or if anyone knew a good way to clean them really well. I have a couple now I wanted to pair with computers but the cords are very sticky and gross. I replaced one cord before with one from a junk keyboard but I don't have any more spares now.
    have you tried IPA on a paper towel or rag?
    Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules, 4 floppies, ST-225, XT-IDE), Compaq Portable ii (replaced PSU and keyboard, EMS card), ASR 33 Teletype (needs work), Apple ][e
    Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), IBM Professional Graphics Controller (PGC), IBM 3270 PC keyboard card, Tandy disk-video interface (for Model 100-series), DG Nova IO controller, and the meaning of life.

Stone, If you're selling it I definitely wouldn't mind having a spare.

Chuck, I'm sure that would work but it seems like it would take some work to make it fit and look halfway decent.

Nevets01, I haven't gotten a chance to try yet but on some other cords I've tried cleaning I had to choose between getting it really clean and permanently stretching out the cable or not cleaning it very thoroughly. That's not really a tradeoff I want to make

Blog Entries

Forgot to ask if you needed a coiled cord or a flat one.

Have you tried running it through the dish washer? Tie it to the rack so it won't get down in the spinny thing, and use a good grease-cutting dish soap.
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.
    Old Computer Fun! (Muh Projects Blahg) | Muh YouTube Channel that goes with it

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Have you tried running it through the dish washer? Tie it to the rack so it won't get down in the spinny thing, and use a good grease-cutting dish soap.
    That's not a bad idea, I might give that a shot