Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: USA - Socket 370 board with Tualatin PIII-S 1.4/512/1.45V support or adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    It's all in the eye of the beholder. You can toss up AGP specs but for the casual user of the day, it would be hard to discern any great advantage, benchmarks notwithstanding. I think this is especially true of the average PIII's; i.e., the video card isn't going to make or break that system. Just my opinion as I've been there and done that.
    Whether a casual computer user or a gamer, using an AGP card will make the entire system faster. The IDE controller won't have to share bandwidth with the video card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Whether a casual computer user or a gamer, using an AGP card will make the entire system faster. The IDE controller won't have to share bandwidth with the video card.
    Okay, technically you are right-on and correct. However, I doubt that you will want to write home about the advantages of the AGP over PCI on a PIII. For the sake of the argument, the best thing to do would be to try it out both ways if you have the resources available.

Interesting article: https://documentation.help/The-Hardw...de/agp-pci.htm
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

The real problem is that the fastest P3's probably can't drive the last generation 8x AGP gaming cards in games anyway. I keep some AthlonXP/last generation P4/Athlon64 boards for those.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Pentium III systems were limited to AGP 4x at most, and this was only provided by 3rd party chipsets. I don't think there were any official Intel PIII chipsets which supported more than AGP 2x and there was a slot key difference between 1x/2x and 4x/8x that prevented either two speed standards from being installed in each other. This prevents you from installing something like a Voodoo5 in most Pentium 4 systems and beyond because it's keyed for AGP 2x and won't seat in a 4x/8x slot due to the key being reversed.

There were universal AGP slots which could work with all speed standards, but would only run at the fastest speed the motherboard supported. These slots were rarely used and are hard to find motherboards with them today. I had to scour the internet for months to find a Pentium 4 board which had a universal AGP slot to run my Voodoo5 card in.

I do have one Pentium III board, a Super Micro P3TDDE with two PIII-S 1400s installed that has a universal AGP slot. It was a killer gaming rig back in the early 2000s. With two CPUs, one could be dedicated for just the game and the other ran OS tasks, it was a whole lot faster than my Athlon 1700+ and even traded blows with a later Pentium 4 2.8 HT I had.