Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Looking for IBM PS/2 Ultimedia disks

  1. #1

    Default Looking for IBM PS/2 Ultimedia disks

    Hello. Recently disks for IBM PS/2 Ultimedia were uploaded to Archive.org by @lofuses, however that upload contains only CD-ROMs (System CD is 53G2199, Application CD is 53G2191). Anybody here has boot floppies for this bundle (version 1.1)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guildford, U.K.
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtiomWin View Post
    Hello. Recently disks for IBM PS/2 Ultimedia were uploaded to Archive.org by @lofuses, however that upload contains only CD-ROMs (System CD is 53G2199, Application CD is 53G2191). Anybody here has boot floppies for this bundle (version 1.1)?
    Do you have a DOS system with 3.5" floppy drive and a supply of HD diskettes?

    If so, we have the IBM PCCBBS stuff archived in multiple places.

    Visit the "Master", currently maintained, PS/2 etc. Compendium here:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/

    Scroll down to MCA Adapters
    Sound

    You'll find all you should need in diskette-creating packages.

    HTTH
    Tim

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Do you have a DOS system with 3.5" floppy drive and a supply of HD diskettes?

    If so, we have the IBM PCCBBS stuff archived in multiple places.

    Visit the "Master", currently maintained, PS/2 etc. Compendium here:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/

    Scroll down to MCA Adapters
    Sound

    You'll find all you should need in diskette-creating packages.

    HTTH
    Tim
    I'm talking not about drivers for Ultimedia Audio adapter, but boot disks from PS/2 Ultimedia recovery set. You can take a look here and here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guildford, U.K.
    Posts
    148

    Default

    So, Ultimedia restore, replacing various OSes. Probably drivers, control system and suchlike. The touchscreen display and adapter are unusual, but were likely an option for other system units. I'll have a look.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guildford, U.K.
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    So, Ultimedia restore, replacing various OSes. Probably drivers, control system and suchlike. The touchscreen display and adapter are unusual, but were likely an option for other system units. I'll have a look.
    Do you have the 8516 display, Audiovation or M-ACPA sound adapter, plus the Ultimedia Installation diskette and CD? The links you provided don't seem to be yours.

    My informed guess is that the CD contains a customised OS/2 2.0 installation for the PS/2 57SLC, plus drivers (both for OS/2 and virtual ones for PC-DOS 5 and Windows 3.0) the monitor and the sound card. There may be the possibility to create the boot diskettes from images in the CD's directory tree.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Do you have the 8516 display, Audiovation or M-ACPA sound adapter, plus the Ultimedia Installation diskette and CD? The links you provided don't seem to be yours.
    Only CDs from Archive.org, I don't have diskettes, that's what I'm asking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    My informed guess is that the CD contains a customised OS/2 2.0 installation for the PS/2 57SLC, plus drivers (both for OS/2 and virtual ones for PC-DOS 5 and Windows 3.0) the monitor and the sound card. There may be the possibility to create the boot diskettes from images in the CD's directory tree.
    And my informed guess is that CDs is updated version that might be bundled with PS/2 Ultimedia M77 and are including OS/2 2.00.1 (original version includes OS/2 2.0 LA) and Windows 3.1. As for possibility to create boot disks, that System CD doesn't have such images but it has DOS backup files (BACKUP.001 and CONTROL.001) which are too large for ordinary extracting by RESTORE utility. So I think restoration process can be started only by bundled boot floppy.
    User @pl212 has such disks, and I've contacted him in VOGONS, but still didn't get an answer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Guildford, U.K.
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Do you have the 8516 display, Audiovation or M-ACPA sound adapter, plus the Ultimedia Installation diskette and CD? The links you provided don't seem to be yours.

    My informed guess is that the CD contains a customised OS/2 2.0 installation for the PS/2 57SLC, plus drivers (both for OS/2 and virtual ones for PC-DOS 5 and Windows 3.0) the monitor and the sound card. There may be the possibility to create the boot diskettes from images in the CD's directory tree.
    Yep, as I suspected, on the https://archive.org/download/ibmulti...BM_UCD_101.ISO , which is a BACKUP SET on CD, there is an OS2SE20 directory, containing the OS/2 SE 2.0 diskette files. Whether or not this is a DOS/Windows 3.0 BACKUP SET or an OS/2 2.0 one I'm not sure. I'm unfamiliar with the file layouts. BACKUP.001 seems to be an OS/2 Executable, so my guess is an OS/2 2.0 BACKUP SET, requiring a bootable OS/2 2.0 system to RESTORE it.

    https://archive.org/download/ibmulti...roms/IBM57.ISO is a DOS/Windows 3.0 Application Installation CD, both of which can be achieved from OS/2 DOS (x:\DOSWARE) or Windows (x:\WINWARE) sessions.

    https://archive.org/download/ibmulti...BM_ACD_101.ISO is a collection of Application Samplers under their own subdirectories.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Yep, as I suspected, on the https://archive.org/download/ibmulti...BM_UCD_101.ISO , which is a BACKUP SET on CD, there is an OS2SE20 directory, containing the OS/2 SE 2.0 diskette files. Whether or not this is a DOS/Windows 3.0 BACKUP SET or an OS/2 2.0 one I'm not sure. I'm unfamiliar with the file layouts. BACKUP.001 seems to be an OS/2 Executable, so my guess is an OS/2 2.0 BACKUP SET, requiring a bootable OS/2 2.0 system to RESTORE it.
    That directory contains files that are supposed to be copied by installer program to hard drive. That might be applied to other directories on that CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    https://archive.org/download/ibmulti...roms/IBM57.ISO is a DOS/Windows 3.0 Application Installation CD, both of which can be achieved from OS/2 DOS (x:\DOSWARE) or Windows (x:\WINWARE) sessions.
    Actually, PS/2 Ultimedia models were also bundled with some additional software from partners which was used to demonstrate multimedia functions. Anyway, we'll know nothing unless anyone here has proper boot floppies for this bundle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •