Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Problem

Quote Originally Posted by WSM View Post
    I believe you're referring to "Tweek". It's still available but is now under the name Stabilant 22A .
    Haha, oh no, Stabilant 22 I know folks that swear it actually works, but I could never bring myself to buy some at the price, with material that reads like old timey patent medicine!

Yeah, Stabilant. I too never bought any Stabilant with any limited spare money, just trinkets for the better half. No doubt that's why I'm still married to the same woman and she's allowed me to continue to hoard my old computer stuff.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Spent some time looking at youtube for cleaning electronic parts. There are gamers, amateur radio, audio guys and probably others that need to clean IC's, pots, circuit boards and sockets. It ranges from soap and water to toilet bowl cleaner. I would not use the acids that some of them are advocating and I'm not sure soap and water would not do much. I've used DeOxit D5 in the past and will certainly try it again. I looked up this Stabilant 22, sure sounds like a good product, but it is expensive.

Today, I started to take a much closer look at my circuit board. First thing I noticed is that I have a few different type of IC sockets. When I assembled this board, I must have used all the dregs of other projects. Some are gold plated, most are tin.

I started with two IC's. I removed them and tried to clean the IC legs by scraping them with a razor blade. They shined up nicely. Then with my jeweler's loupe and LED light I tried to look into each hole of the sockets. I then noticed that some sockets pinch the IC lead from front to back and other pinch from side to side. I suppose it doesn't matter too much, but now I'll have to be sure to scrap the sides of the IC leads also. I also tried to measure the resistance from the wire wrap pin to the IC lead. I did find a couple of connections that were questionable. In fact, I replaced one socket because the resistance kept changing as everything wiggled. The others didn't exhibit this behavior. Besides this pin was the MEMR from the DMA controller. I also checked all the wire wraps. I did find one that looked suspicious and replaced it. Tried to clean the IC leads and sockets with DeOxit. Let it dry, re assembled the board and tried it in the computer, no soap! I got thru 6 IC's and there are maybe another 20 to go. Hope this yields benefits, let you know, thanks Mike

Unsolicited testimonial:

Back in prehistoric times I built, sold and serviced a quality control system for metal rolling mills built around Rockwell AIM65s (Chuck knows how hostile that environment is, with oils and other contaminants in the air and everywhere else).

I started getting more and more service calls related to poor IC socket contacts; careful cleaning with abrasives & solvents never lasted very long but after applying Stabilant 22 to all the sockets I had almost no further problems.

The only issue I've found is that with poor sockets (e.g. those used in old PETs) the ICs tend to migrate out of their sockets.

m

Blog Entries

When I first got going with my own wirewrap, back in the mid-70s, I used TI mid-height sockets. I figured that they, being gold-plated and all would be wonderful. Boy, was I wrong! they'd develop a terrible tendency to have the socket "fork" detach from the post--invisibly inside the socket. I went with machine-pin Augats and never looked back.

TI low-profile solder-tail sockets were about as bad. I know there are some "authentic" people out there who seem to want them, but that's just false economy.

This morning after morning mass, I did four more IC's and socket's but didn't find anything. I did see what looked like a cold solder joint on a pull up resistor for the WRITE PROT, but apparently it was OK. The system didn't work any better after the repair.

I still have a bunch of sockets to look at, but I tried another method. Using a heat gun, I warmed up a group of IC's and tried the system. I would heat the group of IC's to about 160 degree's F. I have an infra red gun to check the temp. This temp is just the outside case temp, but it should warm the connections and innards. I didn't get any results until I warmed the DMA controller and associated IC's. The system came alive and seemed to work after the chips cooled off. I want to see if this is repeatable. Maybe the bad connection is here.

I read some more on the Stabilant 22. I see that you can purchase 15 mL of the stuff ready to go or you can purchase 5 mL but you have to add alcohol and it makes 30 mL. I think I'd rather get the complete stuff, so I would not have to mess around mixing. I have an application question. Obviously one would apply the Stabilant 22 to the IC/Socket area, but with the IC out of the socket or in place? Then would you apply some on the wire warp pins also.

I thought I was a pretty good wire wrapper, but looking at the connections under the microscope, I'm just pretty good. One thing I have to be more careful of is to have the wire insulation meet up with the pin. Some of my wires have bare wire exposed away from the pin.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward getting some Stabilant 22, any suggestions as to what kit to get? Thanks Mike

Blog Entries

What are you using to wrap? G-D electric gun? It's pretty hard to screw up a modified wrap using one of those.

Mike_Z: I got the 15ml bottle of Stabilant-22A (i.e. pre-mixed) and it should be available from a variety of suppliers such as NAPA and even my local electronics supplier. As to the application - I apply it to connectors and/or IC's when they're disconnected or out of the socket then reconnect / insert while the surfaces are wet. A little bit goes a long way.

Does it really work? I'm not going to get into that discussion except to say that I've never had an issue where I've applied it.

well that was a fun 1/2 hour rathole

http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/cleaner.htm

cramolin red, oelic acid, and cranberry seed oil

prompted by my attempts a month or so ago to revive some S-100 hardware and discovering that
    the edge connectors on many backplanes and cards have become intermittent

Blog Entries

Used to be Carbon tet or Freon TF for cleaning. Now long gone.