Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can anyone identify this IDE disk connector - and where I might get/butcher one?

Default can anyone identify this IDE disk connector - and where I might get/butcher one?

I have an old military computer (UK/NATO) probably 486/586. And LXI (or an LX1).
    However I dont have an (easy) way to get an IDE disk into the beast.
    Why not?
    A strange connector on the IDE - 60pin, comes in from a 50 pin (keyed) IDE.

I have been hunting for ages - either for a disk or for something I can buy/steal a connector from.

Can anyone identify this connector type or source me a few connectors?

The file size limit wont let me put up the pictures, so here are links to a web-page with the connectors
    http://www.inverness-bunker.space/connector1.jpg

http://www.inverness-bunker.space/connector2.jpg

I forget what the connectors are called but this looks to be the same style as we often call a centronics printer connector. look through a digikey calalog and you should find something similar.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

The old trade name is "Blue Ribbon", usually from Amphenol, although Cinch made them as well. "Centronics" should refer only to the 34 conductor variety used for their printers (as contrasted with, say, Dataproducts).

I've got some "disk in a drawer" containers that use this. Usually the 60 pin, which allows for both power and SCSI SE signal. Some IDEs used this as well. Very rugged, used by Telco for their 25-pair RJ-21 connections. Used to be that offices were full of the stuff for their PBX/KSU installations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I forget what the connectors are called but this looks to be the same style as we often call a centronics printer connector. look through a digikey calalog and you should find something similar.
    Dwight
    I have ploughed through about every cat I can find before turning for help. I THINK it might be an HDCN60 type connected - used by IBM in RS6000 series I have read. BUT nobody seems to stock the HDCN60 any more.
    But I cant find a tech ref with sizes to see if it is that connector. It is pretty small and - military use - allowed caddies to be taken off kit when left in cars etc. I will hunt digikey again….

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The old trade name is "Blue Ribbon", usually from Amphenol, although Cinch made them as well. "Centronics" should refer only to the 34 conductor variety used for their printers (as contrasted with, say, Dataproducts).

I've got some "disk in a drawer" containers that use this. Usually the 60 pin, which allows for both power and SCSI SE signal. Some IDEs used this as well. Very rugged, used by Telco for their 25-pair RJ-21 connections. Used to be that offices were full of the stuff for their PBX/KSU installations.
    Chuck I own some old exchanges with 25 pair connectors The plugs are a good bit bigger - like 2.5”, not the 1.5” that this one is. I think I had some old “disk in drawer” stuff and they were closer to 50 pin centronics - please correct my thinking if you think there are still some “disk in drawer” that might do I will keep hunting.

I had not found “blue ribbon” I am off to check them out now! Thanks

Of course, smaller. I suspect they are out there someplace. I know some PCs used a similar connector for external drives but I don't know it is was smaller or larger spacing.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

If they're that small, they resemble some of the SCSI conntectors.

Does this one look right? It's hard to get an exact idea of scale using your photo.

There was a SCSI connector once upon a time that wasn't very popular - it was about the same external dimensions as the common HD-50 pin connector but had a "ribbon" style connector inside

F1633336-01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iainmaoileoin View Post
    Chuck I own some old exchanges with 25 pair connectors The plugs are a good bit bigger - like 2.5”, not the 1.5” that this one is. I think I had some old “disk in drawer” stuff and they were closer to 50 pin centronics - please correct my thinking if you think there are still some “disk in drawer” that might do I will keep hunting.

I had not found “blue ribbon” I am off to check them out now! Thanks
    Sorry, the “blue ribbon” connectors seem the wrong size - too big by about 25%. I will keep searching….

I will try for a better photo - yes, that connector seems viable. I will order a few and keep my fingers crossed. and keep looking….
    I have heard that a toshiba tecra may have a removabe caddy with a similar connector. Somebody off list also said the RS6000 had a similar connector.
    My machine (military) is difficult to open and close and everything inside it has been built to cover everything else. Getting a standard ribbon cable in (and the closing the beast up again) proved impossible - that is tight!