Image Map Image Map

Thread: who has the lowdown on 386 based Zeniths?

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default who has the lowdown on 386 based Zeniths?

In particular those with a backplane (I.e cpu and most everything else on cards). Which models, interchangeability, etc.

There is little to no info regarding what board part numbers were installed in the various Z-386 machines. Same regarding which boards were common or compatible between them.
    I've been looking for years and haven't found anything.

At some point I want to catalog the boards in my machines, but that won't be happening anytime soon. Too many other things taking up my time. When I do though, I'll be sure and post my findings.

I can't say I've seen any of Zenith's 386 backplane machines, but I can take a look at the z-200 I'm in the process of restoring, which I think would be pretty similar. My friend also has a 386 Zenith in the same chassis as my z-200 that's not a backplane machine I can also get some information on.

I have a ZU-425S (486-25) that also has the CPU/Memory on a backplane card. Took a while to finally find the setup utility for it. But yes, very little info available on these.
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    I have a ZU-425S (486-25) that also has the CPU/Memory on a backplane card. Took a while to finally find the setup utility for it. But yes, very little info available on these.
    Setup utility? That probably means I have to find the one for my z-200... Crap

The setup utility is in ROM for the Z-200.

Type SETUP after the MFM-200 system prompt (- and press the RETURN key to run the program. If your computer is set for autoboot, press the CTRL and ALT keys simultaneously and while holding them down, press the INS key to get to the system prompt.

Good to know, I'll write that down and keep it handy