Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: First YouTube video experience

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    It popped up in my twitter feed for hackaday some time over the night. That would certainly bring in a few people.

https://hackaday.com/2020/01/30/ohio...c-300-trainer/
    Ahhhhhh. Yes this happened to my blog when they discovered my TVT project.

Blog Entries

One minor annoyance. I thought I'd add a Subscribe button to the end of the video using Youtube's editor. But the way it adds it, it only shows the 'icon' for my channel. Only when you hover over it does it show the actual subscribe button. Is there a trick I'm missing here? I can't quite phrase my question right to get a google answer.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I'm not really sure how you get the optimum given that everyone listens at different volumes. There must be a technique.
    If your video editor has an audio level meter, or if you can save a copy of your audio track and look at it in an audio editor like Audacity, set the volume levels so that the background music (or B-roll audio) is 20 dB below your voice:

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G56.html

Blog Entries

I'm not really sure how you get the optimum given that everyone listens at different volumes. There must be a technique.
    You use a video editor that has common levels for dialog and music, and auto-ducking to lower the music when you speak. Premiere Pro can do this. There are likely similar solutions for other software.

One minor annoyance. I thought I'd add a Subscribe button to the end of the video using Youtube's editor. But the way it adds it, it only shows the 'icon' for my channel. Only when you hover over it does it show the actual subscribe button. Is there a trick I'm missing here? I can't quite phrase my question right to get a google answer.
    That's normal for YouTube's "end cards" editor.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

I ended up putting a watermark in, which took forever to show up. I'm not really gunning too hard for subscribers.. think this video netted about 30.l, which was pretty good.

I have a question if anyone knows about the whole 'Discovery' analytics thing. I was nosing around in there and saw the top recommending videos (which I assume are where youtube is recommending mine) were the 'Live hospital building in Wuhan' and 'Tankers - WWII movie". I'm guessing if I want to get the video to a more interested audience, I need to adjust titles, keywords etc.? I had keywords like vintage computer, classic computer, retro etc etc. Not sure how the algorithm thought 'ah, I should chuck this up when people are watching a hospital being built in wuhan'. I'd like to show up more for people with an interest in vintage machines already.

One other question for those of you who get into 5 figure views... how long does it usually take your video get get to 10k? Is most of the upswing in the first month? Or is it drop drop over a year? Just curious.

Blog Entries

One other question for those of you who get into 5 figure views... how long does it usually take your video get get to 10k? Is most of the upswing in the first month? Or is it drop drop over a year? Just curious.
    There are three patterns of views on youtube:

1. Sharp upswing and high numbers for the first 24 hours, then long slow tail. This is typical for channels that have 10k or more subscribers and release content regularly.
    2. Long, very slow climb upwards. This is generally "howto" content that is "evergreen". Meaning, people are always searching for "how to fix a sink" or "how to build a birdhouse" or "how to adjust android 8.0 notification bar settings", etc. Evergreen content continues to gain views over several years, but is slow.
    3. Like #2, but then suddenly sometimes gets a huge gain.

Two #3 case studies, both from VCFMW's channel: A video about GeckOS was somehow recommended by youtube's algorithm to people who showed a historical interest in the C64. Another video about resurrecting the original Star Wars animations gained a lot of views when it was mentioned on a few Star Wars blogs.

You should expect most computer history material to be #2. It is an anomaly when it isn't. The exceptions are when a channel has so many subscribers (over 500K, like 8-bit-guy, LGR, etc.) that their sheer numbers influence the algorithm's machine learning.

If you care about discoverability, you can adjust thumbnails and other stuff; watch the "vidiq" channel for hints. However, there is only so much you can boost a video about an Ohio 6502 trainer, as the total worldwide audience is low 5 digits at best. Always be realistic. For example, this video has about 3k views, and that's about what I'd expect for a video of that nature.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I'm gonna veer off the beaten path for a moment. I hope it doesn't go outside the bounds of appropriate content for these fora. If so, I apologize in advance.

Be very very wary of putting all your sweat equity into YouTube with the expectation of income.

Maybe old computer stuff is "safe content". But I used to have a moderately successful YouTube channel in which I restored collectible/antique firearms, formed brass and reloaded ancient obsolete cartridges for which there are no longer factory loads available, black powder cartridges in particular.

Apparently this content "promoted violence" (huh????), and I was demonetized, deranked, and eventually enough of my videos were put in "limited mode" that I just deleted the whole channel in disgust. I still put something on the topic up on BitChute on occasion, but there isn't really any audience there.

I do miss the socialization in the comments section, though (I am a boonies-dwelling hermit), hence my recently starting a new channel about old computer stuff.

So I mean, if you are doing videos for fun and to make internet friends, then cool. DO IT. But don't don't don't don't ever trust YouTube/Google to not pull the rug out from under you for some utterly insipid reason. Yes, I am still a bit sore about this, hahaha.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Hi
    Some thoughts
    First you should talk at the beginning and the end face to face. Your watchers are all human. It makes you human as well. If it helps, have someone you're familiar with to stand behind the camera.
    For most of those places where you are not on stage, you can make the video with sloppy audio and then once you've copied/pasted to your likes, just sit down and redo the audio. Have a simple script to remind you where you are and what is next. It is important to talk during the original recording, though, as it helps to pace the final video. That will help to get a smooth audio across the entire video.
    It was funny in places and that is great as well. I enjoyed the entire thing.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    There are three patterns of views on youtube:

You should expect most computer history material to be #2. It is an anomaly when it isn't. The exceptions are when a channel has so many subscribers (over 500K, like 8-bit-guy, LGR, etc.) that their sheer numbers influence the algorithm's machine learning.

If you care about discoverability, you can adjust thumbnails and other stuff; watch the "vidiq" channel for hints. However, there is only so much you can boost a video about an Ohio 6502 trainer, as the total worldwide audience is low 5 digits at best. Always be realistic. For example, this video has about 3k views, and that's about what I'd expect for a video of that nature.
    I was thinking mid 4 digits. You really can't do a lot with the 300 - it's more historical curiosity. Originally I was just going to ape what youtuuuba did with his replica, only with real hardware. But then I thought, ah, maybe I should add some historical context to explain why I thought this was important enough to do a video on, and then it kind of mushroomed from there. I have a very strong artistic/creative side. I enjoy the process more than the end result.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I'm gonna veer off the beaten path for a moment. I hope it doesn't go outside the bounds of appropriate content for these fora. If so, I apologize in advance.

So I mean, if you are doing videos for fun and to make internet friends, then cool. DO IT. But don't don't don't don't ever trust YouTube/Google to not pull the rug out from under you for some utterly insipid reason. Yes, I am still a bit sore about this, hahaha.
    Honestly I've no expectation of income at all. Many years ago I thought it might be possible to eek out a few hundred bucks here and there to finance the collecting habit, but I never imagined it would be a career path. I'm still in amazement at people like Mr. Beast, Unbox Therapy, etc. It's kind of funny how one of the biggest 21st century video platforms is basically dominated by people reviewing/documenting other people's products.

But those guys are wild exceptions. I think I read somewhere that something like 90% of Youtube ad revenue goes to 3% of their creators. Guys like LGR and 8bitguy have 1M+ subscribers but they're not, at least from what I've seen/heard, living large. If you're making a couple bucks every 1000 views - that's a lot of effort for not very much money. And I would *never* be the type to go to Patreon. I mean no disrespect to those who do use it, but for *me* it's like panhandling. Plus it changes the dynamic from a fun hobby to being a job with deadlines, etc. I don't want that kind of pressure in my life. I've got enough of that with my day job.

I have my own business, and the idea of being dependent entirely on the whim of a large, cash hungry corporation like Alphabet/Google/Youtube is just too scary. I kind of think Youtube's 'monopoly' is ripe for being splintered; I'm mindful of what happened to the recording industry (especially musicians' income) when iTunes etc went mainstream. I think Youtube will be a diminishing returns exercise for all but the very tippy top creators, and most of *their* money will come from merch and stuff outside.

I've accepted my choice to do the occasional video as a hobby, in the particular niche I'm in, is self-limiting. I just enjoy indulging my artsy side, pushing myself to learn new things and such. I don't get to do that often in a job that runs 24/7. If I got to 1000 subscribers and 5k-10k views I think I could say 'yeah, I'm doing alright here.'