Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith z-200 360k floppy drive not working

Default Zenith z-200 360k floppy drive not working

I got my Zenith z-200 put together last night and all seems to be good except the 360k drive I have in it isn't working and I can't figure out why. I have a known good drive that came out of my Compaq Portable after it died as the B drive, an Epson 1.44mb drive as A, and I've been through 3 different controllers with the same issue each time. The computer will boot and read/write the 1.44mb drive fine but throws an error whenever it tries to read the 360k. The one thing I haven't changed is the cable, but it was in the machine when I got it, presumably put away working.

Try running the 360K drive as the only drive in the system.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Try running the 360K drive as the only drive in the system.
    I'll try that, and maybe a different cable. It's kind of weird because I can choose the 1.44 and 360k in the bios so it should support it

Tried a different cable, different card, and same problem. I just have no idea... Maybe the jumpers on the drive? It worked fine in a Compaq Portable though

Did that floppy come with your computer?

I remember something about a trace having to be cut on some floppy drives in order for them to work with certain controllers.

Found it. It's in the Z-200 Owners manual section page B.12.

If you don't have the manual you can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/xpuc...mlyjnzw/shared

May want some input from a floppy guru before you start cutting traces though.

I'll check it out, that would make sense. It's not the original drive so it might need something to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    Found it. It's in the Z-200 Owners manual section page B.12.

If you don't have the manual you can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/xpuc...mlyjnzw/shared

May want some input from a floppy guru before you start cutting traces though.
    Seems like the owners manual doesn't appear to open. Fortunately I do have an original copy but the diagnostic disk images don't seem to want to write in imagedisk

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Seems like the owners manual doesn't appear to open. Fortunately I do have an original copy but the diagnostic disk images don't seem to want to write in imagedisk
    I just downloaded the zip file and it opened OK and Acrobat opened the Owners manual OK.

Don't have a machine setup to check the disk image.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    The images opened fine in WinImage. Imagedisk works with IMD files.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step