Image Map Image Map

Thread: help attaching heat sink to Pentium 4 Socket 423

Default help attaching heat sink to Pentium 4 Socket 423

Hello,

I have an Intel D850GB motherboard with a socket 423 pentium 4 processor. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to install the heat sink. There are two black plastic fittings and it appears that they get screwed into the board. The heat sink then is fastened to the plastic fittings with two metal clamps.

I can't find the screws that mount the plastic fittings to the board. Furthermore, I'm unclear if the screws need to be secured to the PC case, as the holes in the motherboard do not have any threads to hold the screw. I'm planning on using this board on a test bench and not in a PC case. Can someone please clarify to me how the screws are secured into the board? And also, what type/size of screw is needed for this? I'm worried I may not be able to find the right type of screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Blog Entries

Man, everything about Socket 423 seemed to suck.
    So from what I'm reading you have the metal retainers.

...and the plastic brackets.

The brackets mounted to the board with either metal nuts and bolts (and fiber washers!) OR plastic pushpins that expand when locked into place.
    The two pieces hold the heatsink using ears on either side of the heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Man, everything about Socket 423 seemed to suck.
    So from what I'm reading you have the metal retainers.

The brackets mounted to the board with either metal nuts and bolts (and fiber washers!) OR plastic pushpins that expand when locked into place.
    The two pieces hold the heatsink using ears on either side of the heatsink.

Yes! That's exactly the setup that I have. Thank you so much for your reply. I was thinking I could use metal nuts to fasten the plastic pieces to the board, but was not sure if that was the best way to do it. I think I'll just got ahead with that.

Thanks again for your help!

So basically 423 is as bad as 603/604 Xeons.

Be careful using metal nuts, many boards route traces right next to the mounting holes and you can easily damage them.

Blog Entries

Hence why I mentioned the fiber washers.