Image Map Image Map

Thread: When did circuit board CAD really take off / begin?

Default When did circuit board CAD really take off / begin?

I'm working on a microprocessor trainer emulator (for fun). The hardware is pretty well planned at this point - it is going to use an ATMEGA1284 microcontroller, 6 seven segment displays, 6x4 Cherry mx keypad, eeprom ic's for drives, two serial ports, i/o expander for some 16 i/o's, and a piezo. I'm trying to pattern it style wise after the microprocessor trainers of the 70's/80's. I've seen pcb's that have hand drawn traces and while I'm certainly not about to do that, I can simulate its look in Eagle by using the miter command. I wonder if pcb's of the time had a flooded bottom layer/side - or if they just tried to route the grounds on thicker stronger traces. Then I looked at some pics of the SDK-80 and SDK-85 and I noticed they have uniform traces with 45 degree angles that are not hand drawn. Were they using layout software on them?

Blog Entries

CAD for PCBs goes back to at least the 1960s--proprietary software running on mainframes. No auto-routing per-se--the engineer sketched his layout and tracks on a sheet of paper, the design was digitized and then manipulated on the computer. Not exactly what we'd normally think of as mature CAD, here's a monograph from 1969.

But for the average engineer in the 1970s, PCBs were either ink-and-tape on mylar, or rubylith done several times actual size. Xacto-knife time. ICs were similarly laid out but using much greater magnification. I got my first exposure to PCB on an IBM XT using OrCAD 1.0 (still have the floppies).
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 13th, 2020 at 05:42 PM.

I was reading about OrCAD when I searched for early EDA earlier.

I'm pretty sure IBM SLT modules were computer routed on their .1 grid hole layouts, ca. early 60's

DEC had in-house software on PDP-10s (SUDS)
    You can see a picture of someone doing board digitization on a PDP-8 in one of the PDP-8 handbooks, late 60's

Lots of people in that space by the 70's

Commercial vendors, Racal-Redac on PDP-15s, later on PDP-11s

Companies supplying computerized drafting, Calma, Computervision.

80's workstations, Daisy, et al. wiped out by companies with 32bit PC software by the mid-80s who came out of the 16-bit PC
    world, Autocad, EEtools, Orcad, etc.