Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Windows Update for Windows XP dead now?

Regarding why I'm even bothering with Windows XP here, these systems are not general purpose PCs. They have 1GHz PIII CPU, 512MB RAM motherboards so updating them to Windows 7 or 10 is not an option. They are standard ATX motherboards, but the I/O shield is built into the rear of the chassis so updating the motherboard would require cutting an opening to fit an I/O shield for a replacement motherboard. The motherboard also needs a PCI slot in a specific slot location to interface to special hardware so that eliminates almost all current motherboards. The only reason these machines exist is to control the special hardware.

The next time I need to rebuild a hard drive for one of these systems, realistically it probably wouldn't make much difference between leaving them at the XP SP2 system restore image plus XP SP3, or starting with that and updating to all of the updates that were released for XP.

I should just never connect these systems to a network, or only to an isolated network with a much faster modern system that can control them remotely for a better U/I experience. In that case the XP system just becomes a server for the hardware that it controls instead of running the U/I application locally on the XP system.

I don't think you need an excuse to run XP - if it's what you need to do the job then just use it. I have plenty of XP machines, and occasionally they will be connected to the internet, and nothing has ever gone wrong.
    Regarding how long it takes to get the list of updates, on the machines I used, the first time took maybe half an hour. Subsequent times only took a few minutes - faster than Windows 7. It can take a while to install the patches though - if the machine didn't have .NET 4, installing it and the plethora of security patches can take the better part of an entire day.

The machines have the last Firefox, 52.9, and you can still install uBlock Origin if you look through the version history.

Perhaps you can take another system backup now, so you don't need to go through this exercise again - after all, XP updates won't be around forever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    The only reason these machines exist is to control the special hardware.
    If they're turn-key systems, then why bother updating them and risk unknown behavior?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    If they're turn-key systems, then why bother updating them and risk unknown behavior?
    Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion that I'm coming to for these systems at this point.

If I rebuild the system disk for one of these from the XP SP2 system restore image I do need to install the XP SP3 update, plus install the .NET Framework 4.0, to be able to install the final release of the control service and application software, but beyond those updates I should just skip any other updates. It was an interesting exercise to get all of the final updates installed, but no real point in doing so.

(In case anyone wonders, these boxes are Agilent (the company the original HP Test and Measurement company became, before they later became Keysight) 16900A / 16902A / 16903A logic analyzers. More recent versions of these were updated to Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 motherboards running Windows 7 Embedded Standard.)