Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still using those Atom Power mini laptops?

Blog Entries

Default Anybody still using those Atom Power mini laptops?

One of the local guys I get stuff from had a cleanout and I snagged a few old XP era laptops and some old Asus Core2Quad gamer boards.

Anyway he also dumped a HP mini 210-2190NR laptop on me. This thing is a small netbook with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, dual core Intel Atom N455 1.66ghz CPU, 250GB HD and Windows 7 starter installed.
    The unit looks brand new and takes a decent charge (much longer then a real laptop). I ordered a 2GB SODIMM for it and thats the max it can do.

Anyone actually use these things anymore? Is the GMA3150 good enough for youtube?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

It's probably not quite as outdated as my N270-based Eee 904, but I wouldn't bet on it being useful for anything modern-Internet-wise; these things were cheap and underpowered when they were new, and that was nearly a decade ago.

However, my Eee makes a very nice portable typewriter (great battery life for an x86 machine!) and depending on the build quality, yours might as well
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I sometimes use two of them running Schism Tracker with a mixer in between for a DJ setup.

Blog Entries

I have a couple for emergency use. even with an SSD installed they are pretty dire.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

I bought an 9" Asus eeepc 900a in early 2009. I was laid off, @200$ I couldn't resist, my Toshibas screen finally breathed it's last . Mine was linux though. I used it for 6 months. One day I screamed, and at that point being gainfully employed, I bought the biggest lt I could find, a 18.4" Toshiba. A short while later bought a pen based hp lt, in fact had an early multitouch capacitive display. Actually both were poor purchases as when I really started using them I think they lasted 1.5 years. A cheap tool is an expensive tool they say. I did buy an 11.6" lenovo chromebook recently, but I rarely attempt to type anything on it. My 17.3" lenovo is fairly comfortable to type on.

I still have the asus, still works, but it's very battered. And the screen, although hasn't been used excessively, looks pretty washed out.

My Eee from back in the day survived falling off the roof of my car on a freeway on-ramp at ~35 MPH without anything more than severe scuffing to the case, and was still running fine until earlier this year when the board finally gave up the ghost. Picked up another one secondhand and that's still going now. It was never anything to speak of horsepower-wise, but as a cheap, reliable ultra-portable, I've gotta respect it.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I never had a netbook (never mind an Atom-powered one) but I do have several routers with Atom E640 processors from around the same time frame as the N455. Two out of the three are still in use today providing Internet NAT routing, VPN, and the usual DHCP/DNS/NTP services. A netbook could probably do the same job if you could add more LAN ports.

Blog Entries

There is an Office 2010 installer on the thing but I don't have a serial for it. While the CPU is pretty slow I think the 2GB of RAM is more of a limitation (and the 1GB it shipped with must have sucked). You don't even have to use Win 7 starter there are some apps HP included you can boot into (skype, email, web browser, etc).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

I did buy (2) Atomic pi's recently, atom based. Haven't used them yet. That humungous heatsink oi. And they're considerably cheaper then what I then paid.

I still run two Atom-based Dell Mini 10Vs and I'm in the process of replacing their DC power sockets, and while I'm doing that, upgrading them to 2GB of RAM. Both ran Windows XP originally, one still does and the other runs an oldish spin of Ubuntu. They were my main means of getting on the internet while out and about until the devs of mainstream applications, especially browsers, recently stopped supporting 32-bit systems even on Linux.

I tried to buy a modern replacement 10" netbook last year and found that the modern Windows 10 equivalents all had mainly either 32GB or occasionally 64GB eMMC 'HDDs' - it won't take many Windows 10 updates to make those tiny drives overflow - ironically the old Dells have the more or less standard 160GB drives - so in the end I had to go up to a 13" Notebook to get a decent sized SSD. I'd still rather have a 10" netbook with similar performance and a moderately big HDD, but no-one seems to sell them now.