Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft reeeeaaaallly wants to stamp out local user accounts

Blog Entries

Default Microsoft reeeeaaaallly wants to stamp out local user accounts

Just clean installed Win 10 1909 and, yup, they yanked the Local Account option. Knew this was coming, of course. Microsoft seems to have a pattern - first they introduce something that benefits them that they want you to use as an option. When you, predictably, don't do what they want, they try trickery by putting their preferred option ahead of yours. Of course, when that inevitably fails, they throw a tantrum and just yank the option altogether.

Not that you *can't* use a local account with 1909.. apparently MS has randomly seeded the installer so that sometimes it puts the option up, sometimes not. But even when it doesn't you can still get to it, you just have to not have the machine on the internet, and tell Windows you have no internet. But if you connected internet, which they encourage you to do *before* they reveal that you can only set up with a Microsoft account, there's no way to go back, unconnect and try again as far as I can tell. Gotta nuke and pave.

Jerks.

Yeah, it's annoying what they're trying to do. But apparently if you're installing Windows 10 Pro (rather than Home), it does still give you the option to use local accounts, although you're still going to get Candy Crush Saga (very professional!). This guy went through the process: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...unt-setup.html

Wow. That is evil. It is insanely dumb for anyone to use a remote account - depending on the very existence of Microsoft. Microsoft taking away options? That's nothing new. Let me guess, this is supposed to be "innovative" "integrated" and "benefits the customers" again? It is no wonder China has ordered all foreign software removed from use.

While it is still a way away, Microsoft is closer than ever to putting themselves out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    While it is still a way away, Microsoft is closer than ever to putting themselves out of business.
    If you're willing to back that statement up with a wager I'll take it; you name the amount. The bigger the better.

If not, well then...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Wow. That is evil. It is insanely dumb for anyone to use a remote account - depending on the very existence of Microsoft. Microsoft taking away options? That's nothing new. Let me guess, this is supposed to be "innovative" "integrated" and "benefits the customers" again?
    You forget we're now in the land of facebook and other "services" that will go to great lengths to get your personal information. Microsoft is mild in comparison. I have an outlook.com account that is only used to log into Windows. A benefit of remote account is it stores bitlocker keys if using Pro.

I read threads like this and think maybe I live in some other universe that only shares an Internet connection

My laptop at home despises my older computers that are below Windows 10, but my desktop can connect to my Windows 95 machine without issues. I use the same username and password across every laptop and desktop, except my main laptop has a different username.
    Current retro systems:
    Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus
    Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT, 2x IBM ThinkPad 380D (TFT and DSTN)
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, iMac G4/800 Lampshade
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Blog Entries

I get there can be some upside to having an online account. I just feel like I'm overexposed as it is, and after several major breaches I'm committed to not giving Big Tech any more of my info than I absolutely have to.

Anyway, now said PC is popping up a message on each reboot saying 'hey, sign up for a Microsoft account and get the full experience', and your options are yes, or remind me later. So it looks like we're going in the direction of 'have to', unless I can figure out how to ice this permanently.

Blog Entries

You need to go with Windows 10 Pro, and then you get none of the MS online account BS during setup. Another way to go is the Windows 10 LTSB version, that version is pretty bare bones, it does not even have Edge installed IIRC. The LTSB also does not get the "feature updates" either. So if you go with 1909 LTSB, you won't be able to upgrade to 2004 next year without doing a complete re-install of the OS.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Anyway, now said PC is popping up a message on each reboot saying 'hey, sign up for a Microsoft account and get the full experience', and your options are yes, or remind me later. So it looks like we're going in the direction of 'have to', unless I can figure out how to ice this permanently.
    Just guessing, have a look in the scheduled tasks. If it isn't there, run msconfig and see what appears.