Image Map Image Map

Thread: This might be useful for PCB repair

Blog Entries

Default This might be useful for PCB repair

Schmartpatch

Found it interesting; have no personal experience with the stuff.

Thanks for sharing! Very cheap price too which is nice.

I have had trouble finding small enough thru-hole eyelets for one of my applications - ever seen anything like that? I was using the Keystone Electronics part number 22, which I believe is their smallest diameter eyelet; it wasn't small enough for my application. Anything better out there?

Heh, neat! I once repaired a BYT-8 S-100 board with the oldschool version of that -- a square of single-sided circuit board glued down to the board, which had a "smash the legs flat" surface mount pattern for a DIP-16 and non-drilled pads for flywires. This is a little less...barbaric

Blog Entries

PIK-VK3XU-04.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Schmartpatch

Found it interesting; have no personal experience with the stuff.
    Looks like a commercial version of a long-standing ham radio homebrew construction technique (in the genre of dead bug or ratsnest) called Manhattan style and popularised by VK3XU.
    Small pieces of blank PCB are cut up and glued down to create interconnection islands atop a larger PCB that acts as a substrate and groundplane.

I'm one for improvising solutions. When I saw in a garden centre adhesive copper strips for sticking around the stems of shrubs and trees to deter slugs I bought a pack and tried using them to patch PCBs and it worked. Once the soldered connections are in place the long term strength of the adhesive probably doesn't matter much when using through hole components as I am for my retro work. They may well be cheaper than the proper product as well and so far I've had no problems with slugs in the system either.
    Rob - http://www.honeypi.org.uk
    The Internet is a winch to get your project off the ground ... but always have a parachute handy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    PIK-VK3XU-04.jpg

Looks like a commercial version of a long-standing ham radio homebrew construction technique (in the genre of dead bug or ratsnest) called Manhattan style and popularised by VK3XU.
    Small pieces of blank PCB are cut up and glued down to create interconnection islands atop a larger PCB that acts as a substrate and groundplane.
    Blank PCB stock has long been used as a substrate (see the Bob Pease collection as an example). I used it briefly, but couldn't find a good pad cutter for through-hole connections. I still use it for wirewrap--drill single-sided PCB stock for components and insert ww pins. Makes for a very clean looking design.