Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erasing Adaptec Easy-CD Written CD-RWs With Native Win XP

Default Erasing Adaptec Easy-CD Written CD-RWs With Native Win XP

I have many CD-RWs written on a Win95 machine with Adaptec's Easy-CD software. I have added, modified and erased files on these discs many times using this software. The other day I took some of these CD-RWs and wanted to erase them on a Win XP machine so I could rewrite them on the Win XP machine.

I loaded them one into the XP machine and selected "Erase the CD-RW". I got a pop-up box saying the erase was underway and it took about 2 minutes. There were no error messages. Yet when I look at the CD-RW, all the files are still there.

Is it possible I cannot erase and reuse these CD-RWs because if they were written by Easy-CD they cannot be erased by native Win XP?

Thanks...Joe

Have you tried opening one of those erased files to see if it's actually there?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you tried opening one of those erased files to see if it's actually there?
    Yup. Just loaded it into another machine and the files are there and readable.

Try ImgBurn:
    https://www.imgburn.com/
    You get "Quick" and "Full" erase options, plus a lot more detail.

Blog Entries

+1 ImgBurn.

You didn't state the age of these discs, only that you wrote them on a W95 system. If the data was written 10 years ago, on 20-year-old media, the dye might have solidified by now, making them no longer rewritable.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

That ^.

I've got a bunch of Mitsui CD RWs purchased when RWs first came out. I can't successfully write to the NOS ones even with a CD-R drive dating to that time. They were a bad idea then and still are now.

I have had great success with CD-RWs. Never had one fail.

Let me try to erase and/or write to them on the W95 machine using the Adaptec software and see if it's the media or something else. The last time I wrote these (on the W95 machine) was less than a year ago. If I must, I'll erase them on the W95 machine and see if I can write to them on the Win XP machine.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't waste your time -- just go straight to ImgBurn and attempt the erase. It will either work, or give you a media error, and in either situation the case will be solved.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The quickest way to erase a CD-RW disk is to drop it in a shredder. My crosscut shredder even has a slot just for optical media.

I reused a CR-RW disk many times back 20 years ago when I needed to burn a new version of a software install CD every day for testing, but hard to think of any reason why I would ever bother with CD-RW disks today.

Of the last spindle of 100 CD-R disks I bought a few months back I have used maybe a half dozen so far at something like a quarter each for their cost. Dealing with possibly flaky CD-RW media would cost orders of magnitude more in aggravation.

Blog Entries

I'd originally picked up a bunch of CD-RWs with the hope of recording them as audio CDs.

That was a mistake. There were comparatively few audio CD players that could deal with the things, so they went into the recesses of my "forgetaboutit" box.

Nowadays, many software products (e.g. Linux distros) require DVD-Rs or better (e.g. USB pen drive). Strange, but 650 MB seems small today.