Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibm xt 5160

Decided to add 3.5 inch floppy to my IBM XT, even though the original floppy adapter
    (and I guess bios and the driver) is only able to handle 720kb dd discs.

Waited for weeks for the 37pin male D connector, but at least it was very cheap
    coming from china. Used old floppy cable for it, carefully double checking the
    instructions while soldering it ready last night.

And for once, everything worked straight up at first attempt!
    What a great add-on to upgrade from 360kb 5.25" floppies to double sized 3.5" ones!
    And now the IBM is capable of receiving media from several other pc:s that I have at hand.

edit:

still thinking how to tidy up the setup. Wondering, If I put smaller (1.2mb) floppy
    replacing the original and I could then fit the 3.5" floppy also inside the chassis.
    I guess, that 1.2mb floppy will work as 360kb DD floppydrive just the same as 3.5" drive does
    work in DD mode ?

But then again, I'm not 100% sure, if I want to remove the original monster floppydrive
    from the chassis. I'm going to sleep over it

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVic View Post
    Decided to add 3.5 inch floppy to my IBM XT, even though the original floppy adapter
    (and I guess bios and the driver) is only able to handle 720kb dd discs.
    But, if you change the floppy adapter you can run a 1.44 HD drive on the XT:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ion-for-PC-XTs

I've done it and it works great!

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...file-called-2M

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVic View Post
    still thinking how to tidy up the setup. Wondering, If I put smaller (1.2mb) floppy
    replacing the original and I could then fit the 3.5" floppy also inside the chassis.
    I guess, that 1.2mb floppy will work as 360kb DD floppydrive just the same as 3.5" drive does
    work in DD mode ?

But then again, I'm not 100% sure, if I want to remove the original monster floppydrive
    from the chassis. I'm going to sleep over it
    That will never work. You need a HD controller to run a 1.2MB drive; the use of 360K disks, notwithstanding.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Floppy/diskette upgrade possibilities for the IBM 5160 are shown at [here].

Blog Entries

Half height 360K drives are another option to get all the drives located inside the case.

Updating the BIOS and upgrading the disk controller to high density capable is an option but the 1.2MB will still be iffy in terms of writing disks that 360k floppy drives can read. The 1.2MB will be able to read the 360k boot disks it creates so that may not matter match to your use case.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Updating the BIOS and upgrading the disk controller to high density capable is an option ...
    You will be referring to the motherboard BIOS. Although the two 1986 dated motherboard BIOS revisions contain code for 1.2M drives (see [here]), attempts by me and others to gain 1.2M operation by upgrading the motherboard BIOS to a 1986 dated one, and substituting a BIOS-less HD controller in place of the DD controller, did not work.

Software is also required (in addition to the HD controller). We could not get DRIVER.SYS to work for this. 2M-XBIOS software works. What also works is a HD controller that contains a BIOS expansion ROM that supports 1.2M drives.

Methods of obtaining 1.2M operation on the IBM 5160 are at [here].

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    But, if you change the floppy adapter you can run a 1.44 HD drive on the XT:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ion-for-PC-XTs

I've done it and it works great!

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Ok, so, I'm out of luck trying to use 1.2Mb floppy drive with ibm original floppy card.

But it happens, I have this Goldstar Prime 2 I/O card:

5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

So, perhaps I have a chance here? My steps would be to remove the old
    floppy adapter and full size 360kb floppy drive. And replace them with Goldstar
    card and add both 1.2Mb and 1.44Mb floppy drives to the same cable.

And, I need to load 2M-XBIOS driver (to my dos 3.3) from the hard drive.
    In theory, this would do it ? Assuming that untested Goldstar IO card is working unit
    in the first place. I do not remember where I got it, it must have been 20+ years in my storage.

Remember to use the IDE connector for your floppy drives

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    Remember to use the IDE connector for your floppy drives
    ?????
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    ?????
    Look at the photos

Ahh... the headers are cross-labeled.