Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 model 25-1002 info needed

I have also reached out to the seller to see if he can offer any more background info on this unique model number Tandy 1000. I will also report back if he can tell me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Nice buy. When you open it up, I'd be interested to know how the floppy's are powered.
    In the original 1000 (and 1000A and 1000HD) the drives are powered through the normal Molex connectors.

The seller got back to me. He got the computer in a storage auction and that is all he knows about it. He does live the Ft Worth area, so I suspect this computer was used at the Tandy Corporate offices, or a local Radio Shack store in the area.

One of my coworkers used to be a manager at Radio Shack back in the mid 80s. He remembers hearing about Tandy possibly coming out with a 25-1002 model, but it never showed up in the stores. This certainly sounds like a model just used internally at Tandy itself. He does not think it would have ever been used at a Radio Shack store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    In the original 1000 (and 1000A and 1000HD) the drives are powered through the normal Molex connectors.
    My SX is but I wasn't sure about the others. It would be real odd if his was data cable powered.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

It was the "Class of '87" (HX and TX) that started adding the power rails to the floppy connector, it'd be really surprising if a model in the original case with 5.25" drives had power on the data cable unless it were some sort of weird prototype.

I would probably also tentatively vote for this being some kind of for-company-use-only model. Maybe they slapped together all their remaining Tandy 1000 parts into these after they officially switched to selling the SX.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I got the computer today. It appears to be a Tandy 1000A motherboard. It has the socket for the Math Coprocessor at U29. It came with a Memory Plus Card (25-1011) with 256K. The 2 floppy drives are powered with standard 4-pin Molex connectors. I am going to order another 256K and bring the system up to 640K total. I am also going to add an Everex EV-170 with a RTC and I should be able to also add an XT-IDE CF adapter as the BIOS is 1.01.00, so it should scan for the option ROM. The system has some signs of definite use, but nothing too bad cosmetically. Should make a nice addition to my Tandy 1000 collection. My best guess is that this unit was used internally at Tandy HQ. The computer had a MS-DOS 2.11 boot diskette that still works. The keyboard has hand written markings for the program they were running.

F1 - Help
    F2 - Copy/Undo Last Deltd LN
    F3 - Indent
    F4 - Show on screen
    F5 - Wrap On/Off
    F6 - Start/Stop Mark Printer
    F7 - Enter
    F10 - Current Fund Calc

In any regard this is a unique find. I will post some pictures later. More to come...

Here are some photos of the mainboard before I put the system back together. Also some pictures of the hand written labels on the keyboard.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Nice buy. When you open it up, I'd be interested to know how the floppy's are powered.
    I've never seen any Tandy machine that came with 5.25" drives that were data cable powered. As far as I know, they were all externally powered via molex. Only the machines that came with 3.5" drives had the power on the data cable.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    I've never seen any Tandy machine that came with 5.25" drives that were data cable powered. As far as I know, they were all externally powered via molex. Only the machines that came with 3.5" drives had the power on the data cable.
    The 1000SL came with a 5.25" drive and has power on the data cable, but they punched holes in it so the power wouldn't reach the 5.25" drive.