Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 56 486 SLC2 help

Question IBM PS/2 Model 56 486 SLC2 help

Hey guys, so I recently got my first vintage computer, an IBM PS/2 Model 56 486 SLC2. I found it in Florida and had it shipped over to me in Oregon. Before it was sent out the case was yellowed and written on but undamaged. The computer booted and worked as it should.

When I excitedly unwrapped it yesterday I found that the front face plate had been cracked in three places, the panel around the power button had snapped enough that it comes out, and the power button key cap was broken. Pushing through that I plugged everything in and pressed the power button but nothing happened. So it doesn't power on. Furthermore the case is locked. I'm hoping that the computer doesn't power on because something is was jostled or rattled loose. I'm gonna get the case unlocked and check that this weekend.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any advise for getting this thing running again, getting past the lock, or maybe had some leads on a replacement face plate and power key cap. I've looked around eBay and the like but I haven't had any luck. Thanks guys

IMG_20191213_193137_compress16.jpgIMG_20191213_192929_compress89.jpgIMG_20191213_192904_compress93.jpgIMG_20191213_192911_compress1.jpgIMG_20191213_192855_compress1.jpgIMG_20191213_192858_compress5.jpg

File a damage claim with the shipping carrier. It doesn't sound like you opted for extra insurance, but most carriers usually have a bare minimum amount. If you got it off Ebay, file a claim with them as well.

Computer case locks are usually pretty easy to pick with a paper clip and a small flat blade screwdriver. You just gotta get all of the pins pushed down and rotate it with the screwdriver. If you can't get it unlocked, you can always drill it out. Start in the center of the lock and use progressively larger drill bits until it starts to spin freely. Be sure to remove all metal shavings before powering the machine up again.

I second that. FILE A CLAIM!!!

Definitely file a claim but I parted out a model 40sx and I believe the power button assembly is the same. Sure looks the same at least. PM me if you want it, I can take some pictures

Some of the later PS/2 machines have a second, internal power switch which automatically shuts off the power if the case cover is opened. Unfortunately this also means that if the case cover is damaged or missing, the machine will appear to be dead unless you know about and flip on the hidden switch... which in your situation may be difficult to get to since the case cover is both damaged and locked!

I talk about it in this video:

Yea, that was the power issue. I finally got the case off and flipped the switch.

Cool Move Radracer for helping him out
    Yeah, I had recently ordered a 286 "Clone" off of Fleabay. Well, first of all, the box was not very thick, or padded on the corners and front. The Moron Shippers must have slammed it down in the truck or ground because the front bezel was broke off at the screw post points. There was a smash mark on the corner of the box where the corner of the bezel was so a small crack there. I had to re-attach it with some creative re-working.
    So, when ordering from the "Bay" or Private person..EMPHASIZE that you want Extra Padding on the bottom, Corners and Front. As THICK of Cardboard as they can get and lots of securing shippers tape!
    Last edited by Hal9000; December 16th, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Some of the later PS/2 machines have a second, internal power switch which automatically shuts off the power if the case cover is opened. Unfortunately this also means that if the case cover is damaged or missing, the machine will appear to be dead unless you know about and flip on the hidden switch... which in your situation may be difficult to get to since the case cover is both damaged and locked!

I talk about it in this video:

For IBM PS/2 Models 56/57 and 76/77 the blue sliding switch below a white label, to the left with the cover off at 1:24 in the video must be slid up and back until it locks to operate with the cover off.

Your inbox is full man, I got your message. Drop me an email --> ibm@nycellc.com