Image Map Image Map

Thread: vintage or not so vintage boxed "wargames"

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default vintage or not so vintage boxed "wargames"

Avalon Hill and the like. I've had a hankering to pick up something for a while now. I had a couple way back. I'm looking for something purely historical (medieval period), iow no fantasy element. Or sci fi based. Any recommendations? Anyone selling anything? I could be interested in one of the smaller games, remember Ogre, but not Ogre. Would much prefer a full sizedid you will boxed game. Would definitely consider incompletes.

This is mainly a request for recommendations, which is why I posted here.

Blog Entries

The only quick play medieval board games I can think of would be SPI's old Great Medieval Battles quad or the component games thereof. Good games and should be finished in under 2 hours. Unfortunately, prices have soared in the last few years.

If you want something a bit unusual, Richard Berg did Chicken of the Sea depicting Rome versus Carthage in a naval action for GameFix magazine. It only takes about an hour to play which is less time than most Richard Berg games take just to set up.

Kingmaker had a few more complicated follow-ons like Holy Roman Empire for those willing to devote entire weekends to political gaming.
    Last edited by krebizfan; December 14th, 2019 at 02:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Avalon Hill and the like. I've had a hankering to pick up something for a while now. I had a couple way back. I'm looking for something purely historical (medieval period), iow no fantasy element. Or sci fi based. Any recommendations? Anyone selling anything? I could be interested in one of the smaller games, remember Ogre, but not Ogre. Would much prefer a full sizedid you will boxed game. Would definitely consider incompletes.

This is mainly a request for recommendations, which is why I posted here.
    You don't think there's a "fantasy" element with Avalon Hill stuff as in 'Axis & Allies vs. Zombies'? Try the "The Witcher", it fairly medieval. (a great PC game)
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...rebellion-61-d

They've made games since the 70s. Some are wargames in the purest. The first set of rules that include, if as anoptiion, fantasy elements was Chaimail by TSR of D & D fame. I'm guessing. There could be earlier rule sets. But wargaming existed in fact for centuries prior to fantasy rpgs and the like. I seem to recall a game, Druid that I had long ago. I can't swear it was AH. But it was essentialy a wargame based in the dark ages, some would say pre-medieval. There was no fantasy element.

I think this was it (not AH apparently): see up rop, can't paste below text for some reason.

Blog Entries

'Call of Duty: Black Ops'. I have most of these and they're great games if you go for that genre.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; December 14th, 2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting