Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Announcing the Plaid Bib - a clone of the Ad Lib MCA

Good news! I've gotten a version of the card working using a CPLD to replace the bus interface chip.

Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/statu...71399829622784

Github repository: https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib-cpld

The card works fine in my PS/2 Model 50Z. I tried it in Lutiana's Model 95; the BIOS can read the card ID just fine, but the machine has some boot issues so I can't test it the rest of the way. Maybe if I try a different processor complex...

So for the people who are excited about MCA Sound Blasters, that would be quite a bit more work since this CPLD doesn't implement DMA. I'd have to take a careful look at how all that is supposed to work. Same goes for any ESDI-IDE-CF adapters. It's a bit more complex than a card that implements two I/O ports.

Hot damn! This is awesome!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

This is great but how do I get my hands on one? Did someone want to do a board order?
    Looking For:
    IBM PS/2 8595 Motherboard
    MCA sound card (will pay big bucks)
    IBM PC Server 720/others

Quote Originally Posted by ejs View Post
    The card works fine in my PS/2 Model 50Z. I tried it in Lutiana's Model 95; the BIOS can read the card ID just fine, but the machine has some boot issues so I can't test it the rest of the way. Maybe if I try a different processor complex...
    A bit late to the party here, but I have a shelf full of Model 95's (both 8595s and 9595s), as well as a Model 90 and a box full of different complex cards (DX-50, P60, P66, P90 and a couple of others) that I could use to do some testing for you if you'd like!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    A bit late to the party here, but I have a shelf full of Model 95's (both 8595s and 9595s), as well as a Model 90 and a box full of different complex cards (DX-50, P60, P66, P90 and a couple of others) that I could use to do some testing for you if you'd like!
    Heh, saw this and wondered how that Model 95 got all the way to Indiana...

At any rate, I have two other complexes that I need to get over to ejs, maybe one of them would fix that floppy controller error. I'll email him today and see about getting this stuff over to him on Friday or sometime next week.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Hi.

I have an IBM ps/2 model 50z. I think it's excellent that it's now possible to get an MCA Adlib card
    I do not know that much about electronics. I understand I need to write a pcb and buy components, but is there a pcb file somewhere that I can use with pcb-way or something?

Any testing done or planned on the P70?

And excuse my complete ignorance, or maybe I missed it... but will these be available as a ready-to-go card at any point?

So happy to see the MCA bus getting love

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Any testing done or planned on the P70?

And excuse my complete ignorance, or maybe I missed it... but will these be available as a ready-to-go card at any point?

So happy to see the MCA bus getting love
    No testing done on the P70 yet. There might be compatibility issues if you are using an MCA memory card (matched memory extension). So far I've seen an issue with a Model 80 with such a card. It is a type 1 planar with a 16MHz 386, and those have "special" matched memory cycles on the bus, which may be causing the issue. Model 80 machines with type 2 planars don't do this and just use the default cycle, just like (AFAIK) all other PS/2 machines with the matched memory extension. Isn't MCA fun?

I just design/clone cards, I don't sell them. Eventually Vogons might do a group buy, or Texelec might start selling them.

Really curious about how well this would work on my model 56 (9556). It would be great to get a sound card for it, but I have no idea which version of the card I'd need. I'm thinking it might need the CPLD version since it is kind of higher end in comparison to earlier PS/2 models, but would anyone else have a better conception of how compatible it would be?
    Looking for: IBM dot matrix printer, 1986 silver badge model M, EMS ISA memory cards

Quote Originally Posted by SunSpotter View Post
    Really curious about how well this would work on my model 56 (9556). It would be great to get a sound card for it, but I have no idea which version of the card I'd need. I'm thinking it might need the CPLD version since it is kind of higher end in comparison to earlier PS/2 models, but would anyone else have a better conception of how compatible it would be?
    Hmm, that ought to work but nobody has tested it yet. I'd go with the CPLD version which can accept bitstream fixes (just in case).