Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Plaid Bib - a clone of the Ad Lib MCA

Default Announcing the Plaid Bib - a clone of the Ad Lib MCA

Hi Folks, I've just released a new clone of the Ad Lib sound card, this time of the Micro Channel version.

Here is the GitHub repository: https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib

This particular version only works with slower MCA bus machines, like the Model 50 and Model 60. More info in the repo.

I've got a version in the works that uses a CPLD instead of the P82C611 MCA interface chip. It should be compatible with faster systems but I haven't had a chance to test it yet, although it works fine on my Model 50.

Nice!!!
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules-compatible card + monochrome monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals

This is quite relevant so bear with me. I am into the Amiga scene quite a bit. It is mind blowing how many people and small companies are making NEW Hardware addons and Software for old Amiga computers! New CPU 68030 and now 68060 accelerators, New accelerated graphics with DVI and HDMI interfaces. New IDE cards where the system originally has SCSI,USB cards, New Amiga OS etc. etc.
    I and I thought.. why couldn't we do this for the PS/2 platform? This was done to a limited extent with Reply boards and some third party companies at the time. But yes I know. (IBM Ownership Rights, Patents and Licenses) may get in the way. I figure they are not giving up some of those to this day so "Re-designs" of PCB motherboards and cards may be limited. But yes, I would love to see a PS/2 motherboard with IDE, SATA, USB, PCI slots,faster CPU, Graphics, Standard 72 Pin Memory or newer type addon capability etc.
    Dreaming? Maybe!!
    But, yeah..GREAT Job on the sound card!! It's a good start to some new hardware!!
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    This is quite relevant so bear with me. I am into the Amiga scene quite a bit. It is mind blowing how many people and small companies are making NEW Hardware addons and Software for old Amiga computers! New CPU 68030 and now 68060 accelerators, New accelerated graphics with DVI and HDMI interfaces. New IDE cards where the system originally has SCSI,USB cards, New Amiga OS etc. etc.
    I and I thought.. why couldn't we do this for the PS/2 platform? This was done to a limited extent with Reply boards and some third party companies at the time. But yes I know. (IBM Ownership Rights, Patents and Licenses) may get in the way. I figure they are not giving up some of those to this day so "Re-designs" of PCB motherboards and cards may be limited. But yes, I would love to see a PS/2 motherboard with IDE, SATA, USB, PCI slots,faster CPU, Graphics, Standard 72 Pin Memory or newer type addon capability etc.
    Dreaming? Maybe!!
    But, yeah..GREAT Job on the sound card!! It's a good start to some new hardware!!
    The PC Servers 320/520 (same planar, but avoid the PCI/(E)ISA ones) had dual processor ZIFs, shared L2 cache board and both PCI *and* MCA slots, I forget whether USB (1.1?) had made an entry at that time. Maybe only as a pin header. The PC Server 720 could acommodate up to 6 CPU cards, <= 1GB RAM and also sported dual-purpose PCI/MCA slots (one or the other, NOT both). Sadly there's a bug in the planar component orientation that will kill the Cirrus Logic display controller eventually unless corrected.

Sweet, Nice to see new cards coming out for MCA bus!
    Hopefully we can see an IDE/CF card with XTIDE BIOS, and a Sound Blaster soon, I would think those two would be big sellers too. Makes me want to dig out and get my Model 80 running.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    Sweet, Nice to see new cards coming out for MCA bus!
    Hopefully we can see an IDE/CF card with XTIDE BIOS, and a Sound Blaster soon, I would think those two would be big sellers too. Makes me want to dig out and get my Model 80 running.
    If someone made an xt-ide for MCA I think there would be a lot of demand. I'd buy one for my 85

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    If someone made an xt-ide for MCA I think there would be a lot of demand. I'd buy one for my 85

Yeah, I would assume an XTIDE/equivalent would be probably the biggest seller by far since so many PS/2 hard drives are dead.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Exclamation DBA-ESDI to IDE upgrades

Folks, these little gems are not a universal ATAPI / IDE controller. But they offer an insight into how IBM was able to stuff IDE drives into the ThinkPad 700 / 720 systems that were based on DBA-ESDI drives. I can't prove it, but the Onsite version might have been technologically superior?

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9552/...rade_Kits.html

If someone is curious about the BIOS and flex, contact chulofiasco.
    Last edited by ardent-blue; January 5th, 2020 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejs View Post
    Hi Folks, I've just released a new clone of the Ad Lib sound card, this time of the Micro Channel version.

Here is the GitHub repository: https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib

This particular version only works with slower MCA bus machines, like the Model 50 and Model 60. More info in the repo.

I've got a version in the works that uses a CPLD instead of the P82C611 MCA interface chip. It should be compatible with faster systems but I haven't had a chance to test it yet, although it works fine on my Model 50.
    I think SB MCA also builds on the P82C611. Does someone have one to extract schematic for cloning?