Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FDD Cable Twist - necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Ok after long hiatus I am back to beating my head against the wall with this system. So here is what I have found so far:

1. The Motherboard and cable are fine. I connected a Teac FD-55gfr drive to the system and it works as expected. Install the drive after the twist and it over rides the BIOS makes the Teac "A" drive and is set to 1.2MB in BIOS automagically. Installing it after the twist sets it to B and 360KB. However, switching it back 1.2MB in the setup is fine. The system does not complain on POST and it boots/works fine (I was able to access both SD and HD disks on the Teac).
    Corrections: that should be before the twist for B: drive and I was able to access DD and HD disks.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I may beg to differ, in my experience, all FDs should be jumpered Drive 1 (respond to DS1 not 0), the twist between connectors 2 and 1 swaps the DS1 and related signals to the DS0-related positions. So connector 2 (nearest the mobo) is the B: drive and connector 1 (at the other end) the A:.
    And to be clear the problem is not A: vs B: drive selection. The issue is that a 1.2MB drive is being seen by the mobo as 360KB and setting it to 1.2MB in BIOS/SETUP results in a POST error.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

And to be clear the problem is not A: vs B: drive selection. The issue is that a 1.2MB drive is being seen by the mobo as 360KB and setting it to 1.2MB in BIOS/SETUP results in a POST error.
    My postulation is that, perhaps, the wrong drive is being sensed, resulting in the reversion to 360KB.

I'll readily admit I do *not* know Compaq systems and thus could be entirely incorrect.
    Last edited by WBST; January 24th, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    My postulation is that, perhaps, the wrong drive is being sensed, resulting in the reversion to 360KB.

I'll readily admit I do *not* know Compaq systems and thus could be entirely incorrect.
    I had the same thought

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I had the same thought
    Great. Based on what? I know the mobo and the cables are fine. I have tried two different drives and there is a thread with someone having the same exact issue in a completely different Compaq system. Assuming this is a common failure on the drives then it would be something on the PCB. Any ideas as to what to look for? Otherwise my guess is a stupid config issue....

Great. Based on what? I know the mobo and the cables are fine. I have tried two different drives and there is a thread with someone having the same exact issue in a completely different Compaq system. Assuming this is a common failure on the drives then it would be something on the PCB. Any ideas as to what to look for? Otherwise my guess is a stupid config issue....
    Based on the fact that many BIOSes use the initial floppy seek to determine if it's a 40 or 80 track drive. Beyond that I don't have any specific advice for you I'm sorry

I got one more issue worked out with the Systempro so now the only thing left to resolve is

1. The pesky 1.2MB FDD problem
    2. Why the archive tape drive is not being seen on the SCSI bus (guess is termiantion). Have to play with it some more....

So no ideas on the FDD? Does anyone know if the Mitsubishi drives were just crap?