Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best games for IBM XT ?

Default Best games for IBM XT ?

I'm having a blast with Cosmic Crusader !
    What a great arcade, that I completely missed back in the day when I had 286.

Paratroopers bring back memories from long time ago. Heh, it seems that the
    skills acquired have not vanished anywhere! In fact, I'm doing better than back
    then, easily exceeded 1000 points just with a few attemps (what's your record?).

Having fun with XT and some games here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgXrqIfxIE&t=2s

What game recommendations I should not miss with the XT ?

You are probably looking for "small games from the early PC years", because an XT is able to play much more sophisticated games.

It depends on your personal taste, but Flightmare for example is a unique classic that most of us like.

On the other hand, Alley Cat is another classic that many like (so do I), but some hate it...

A few more recommendations:

PC-Man
    Digger
    PC Pool (I love its sound on the beeper!)
    Xonix and Antix

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVic View Post
    Having fun with XT and some games here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgXrqIfxIE&t=2s
    You should use a CGA or EGA monitor and card instead of VGA, so Pitstop 2 would have its correct Colors, and probably Bouncing Babies wouldn't be broken. Most games run fine on VGA, but some have issues.

CGA, or VGA? I'd go with Railroad Tycoon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVic View Post
    What game recommendations I should not miss with the XT ?
    ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/xtfiles.rar has a lot of what you're looking for: Small action games that were written for an XT+CGA.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertK View Post
    You are probably looking for "small games from the early PC years", because an XT is able to play much more sophisticated games.

It depends on your personal taste, but Flightmare for example is a unique classic that most of us like.

On the other hand, Alley Cat is another classic that many like (so do I), but some hate it...

A few more recommendations:

PC-Man
    Digger
    PC Pool (I love its sound on the beeper!)
    Xonix and Antix

You should use a CGA or EGA monitor and card instead of VGA, so Pitstop 2 would have its correct Colors, and probably Bouncing Babies wouldn't be broken. Most games run fine on VGA, but some have issues.
    Ah, Flightmare! I have a very faint memory, when I look at the screen capture
    of flightmare that I must have tried it very long ago. Must have been around -91, when
    I had my fist pc, 286. Yes, I must add that to the XT.

CAT brings back memories and I do have it already! I will add PC Pool, Xonix and Antix to the list
    of games to try, thank you for suggestin .

I do not have cga/ega monitors, but considering to find one on ebay.
    My first VGA adapter was faulty, that's why the bouncing babies looked bad.
    Now, after changing to properly working vga adapter, it looks good (see attached pics).

And yes, you got my point. I was just hoping to find small early games for early pc.
    Many are probably new to me, like Cosmic Crusader was. Also, at least for the moment, I have
    just the original 10Mb HD on the XT, it would not fit many 'bigger' games, if one would consider
    1-2 Mb sized games big .

12.jpg 13.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    CGA, or VGA? I'd go with Railroad Tycoon.
    Currently, VGA is all I have.
    Thank you for suggesting this! Railroad tycoon is a great classic, that I used to spent hours and hours with!
    I wonder, it it will run with 512kb ram? Currently I do not have mouse also, or com port at the xt. I will probably
    build a 386 computer, which might suit a bit better for Railroad Tycoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/xtfiles.rar has a lot of what you're looking for: Small action games that were written for an XT+CGA.
    Thank you for this!
    Now I should find suitable rar extractor

edit:
    7zip works well here!

How about SimCity Classic?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    How about SimCity Classic?
    Ah, yes Simcity! I do remember spending hours with it as well long time ago.
    However, it might need a mouse - and if not exactly required, it is at least much more
    pleasant to play with a mouse. Currently, I'm not able to hook a mouse to the XT.

Here's a few more ideas:

https://www.pcorner.com/list/GAMES
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step