Image Map Image Map

Thread: Windows 95B Internet Explorer Problems

Default Windows 95B Internet Explorer Problems

I was installing IE5 on my Think[ad 380XD, because it had IE3 on it because that's what Windows 95B came with.

However it stalled during the install, so then after a reboot I tried to run it again, but clicking on the setup program didn't do anything, it wouldn't run. I tried copying everything from the USB to a hard drive, still doesn't run, tried it multiple times, still doesn't run, even tried IE4 instead, doesn't run. IE3 for Windows 3.1 does run, but I decided not to install it because I'd prefer the version for Windows 95, but of course IE5 would be preferred.

I don't know what's going on, and there is no option in "add/remove programs" to uninstall IE either. Something is stopping the IE4 and IE5 setup from running, but I don't know what, or how to fix it.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    I was installing IE5 on my Think[ad 380XD, because it had IE3 on it because that's what Windows 95B came with.

However it stalled during the install, so then after a reboot I tried to run it again, but clicking on the setup program didn't do anything, it wouldn't run. I tried copying everything from the USB to a hard drive, still doesn't run, tried it multiple times, still doesn't run, even tried IE4 instead, doesn't run. IE3 for Windows 3.1 does run, but I decided not to install it because I'd prefer the version for Windows 95, but of course IE5 would be preferred.

I don't know what's going on, and there is no option in "add/remove programs" to uninstall IE either. Something is stopping the IE4 and IE5 setup from running, but I don't know what, or how to fix it.
    Just curious. If you manage to get it installed and up and running, what will you do with it; or is it just for 'show and tell'?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I could use it to access an FTP server I am thinking of getting up and running for easier file transfer.

Also, just to browse old websites, "theoldnet.com" is a great tool for letting old computers use the waybackmachine, etc.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Any reason why you prefer IE5 over IE6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    Any reason why you prefer IE5 over IE6 ?
    Because IE6 was never available on Windows 95?

There are ways to hack it in, but its not recommended.

Blog Entries

Any chance of using an old third-party browser?

Blog Entries

Are you using stand alone installers or the ones that install from the internet? There are 16 and 32 bit versions of IE plus the mac versions. Also there is an app in the control panel you need to run to set up IE so IE knows your internet settings (dialup/LAN etc).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I formatted my hard drive, installed 95C instead which came with IE4, then upgraded to IE5. All is good.

I was using an offline installer which I got from an archive website. I used the same one this time, and it worked.