Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 100 BBS

Default Model 100 BBS

I recently got a working Model 100(my first one was broken), and now that I'm playing around with it, naturally, I want some games on it! However, I'm a big anti-fan of typing long programs out of a book or a website or something, because it just isn't worth it to type for 3 hours and get a game that I don't like. Anyways, is there a way to send a text file on my (modern) laptop via the usb ports and use a usb to db25 cable to feed it to my model 1000, and turn the text file into a BASIC program? I've heard people say that they copied files from a BBS and transfered it via the Model 100's RS-232c, and add a BAS extension. How does this work?
    Oh, and can I still get the Model 100 online? Is the Club 100 BBS still online and working(i guess not)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pxlbluejay View Post
    I recently got a working Model 100(my first one was broken), and now that I'm playing around with it, naturally, I want some games on it! However, I'm a big anti-fan of typing long programs out of a book or a website or something, because it just isn't worth it to type for 3 hours and get a game that I don't like. Anyways, is there a way to send a text file on my (modern) laptop via the usb ports and use a usb to db25 cable to feed it to my model 1000, and turn the text file into a BASIC program? I've heard people say that they copied files from a BBS and transfered it via the Model 100's RS-232c, and add a BAS extension. How does this work?
    Oh, and can I still get the Model 100 online? Is the Club 100 BBS still online and working(i guess not)?
    I've had a Model 100 since 1985. You're kind beating a dead horse as far as gaming goes. First off, BASIC is the 100's OS and it is a slimmed down version at that. The only 'on line' presence that the 100 had that I'm aware off, was an acoustic coupler, and you don't see those around very much. There are 'tailored' ROM's available that will give you access to some games and provide features not included with the stock 100. I have a Radio Shack Scrips-It word processor (BASIC) that works pretty good. I also have a program which simulates DOS to some degree. I have a neat NFL point spread program, written in BASIC, which predicts outcomes based on the previous week's offensive/defensive yardage and scores. It's usually so far off that it's laughable or sometimes it's right on. The program was written in Model 100 BASIC back when there were on 28 teams to deal with. Now, with 32 teams, there aren't enough BASIC character available to bring it uptodate. Don't get discouraged, there's a lot software out there, but it's not know to be a gaming machine. Enjoy.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Welcome to the M100 community! It's still fairly active, with new accessories still being built and software being written; your best bet is to join the M100 mail list at http://bitchin100.com/

The Club100 web site at http://www.club100.org/ used to be the center of the universe for the M100 and the other Kyocera-based notebooks, but since the untimely death of its long-time main man Rick Hanson it has become essentially an archive site for software and documentation; you'll find quite a large collection of games, utilities etc. there and also on Bitchin100.

Another resource is at http://tandy.wiki/Model_100; there's also a site selling memory expansion, cables etc.:
    https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?pa...0&sort=nameAsc

There are numerous ways to transfer files between an M100 and PCs of all stripes, Android phones/tablets and the Internet, both as text files and also raw ASCII m/l or tokenized BAS files, depending on the 'server' hardware and OS.

One thing to be aware of is that you may find files with a .BAS extension that should have a .DO extension. The M100 expects a .BA file to be a tokenized BASIC program, whereas a plain text BASIC program must have a .DO (DOC) extension which the M100 will tokenize when it loads it. In the old days when folks downloaded programs from Compuserve and BBSs they had to be in plain text form but they were usually labeled .BAS.

Loading a file with the wrong extension can scramble the file system; some of the transfer tools will check and correct this automatically, but it's always good practice to look at an unknown program to check whether it's readable text or tokenized and that the extension matches.

Once again, welcome! Check out the resources above and I'm sure any questions you still have will be answered here or on the M100 list.