Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L40SX Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Thanks for the link but it's not those. It has about 3" of wire with a connector on the end I don't know the name of. I'll try to post a picture, I've been having trouble because of the new size restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I've been having trouble because of the new size restrictions
    But the size restrictions have gotten more liberal. You can now post much bigger pics than previously allowed.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Thanks for the link but it's not those. It has about 3" of wire with a connector on the end I don't know the name of.
    It's probably a JST connector. I know what you're looking for, but that's the closest I could find. I probably should have said you can break the tabs off and cut the wires off the old battery pack and solder them on this new one. Insulate the ends with more heat shrink around the pack and you have a new working pack.

I'll try to post a picture, I've been having trouble because of the new size restrictions
    You can host the image elsewhere and use img tags, which aren't restricted on size.

20200112_151728~2.jpg

Got the picture to attach finally, I could probably go with something else but space is pretty tight in there

Got the picture to attach finally, I could probably go with something else but space is pretty tight in there
    Looks like a cordless phone battery; I use 'em in most of my systems:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've replaced the CMOS battery on mine, but not bothered with the large battery pack or the the smaller standby battery pack. I just simply use the machine plugged into the wall and don't bother with the standby feature.

I had gone hunting for small NiCD batteries that I could use to rebuild the standby pack, but it was surprisingly difficult to source the correct size batteries. I'm not concerned about the battery capacity - close is good enough. At some point after getting enough samples that would not work I just left the old battery pack in place and I'm not really missing it.

Modern chargers handle NiCD vs. NiMH correctly. I did some reading a while back and older chargers (like what is probably built into the machine) do not. It's not worth the risk. If you rebuild using NiMH then plan on charging it externally and disable the internal battery charger to be safe. I think that is a reasonable concession to make.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Looks like a cordless phone battery; I use 'em in most of my systems:
    I think that might be the exact one I need!

I'm skeptical that is what you want ...

What MikeS posted there has a 320mAh capacity. The original battery is more like 40 to 50mAh. While the form factor is bigger, I suspect that the battery MikeS took a picture of is much larger.

(Can we see a picture next to a ruler?)

Good point; 1 5/8 x 1 1/8 x 1/2

Try searching what's available from Fedco Electronics: https://www.energyplusbatteries.com/battery-cells.html

I used to use them for replacement laptop batteries and had them rebuild some otherwise unavailable as new batteries for older laptops. Not the cheapest around, use quality cells, but they always did a great job and stood behind their products. Plus they have just about anything in the way of cells.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts