Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: L40SX Batteries

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default L40SX Batteries

    Just got one of these laptops and I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt that battery packs before and had any recommendations. I've done one battery pack for a PC Convertible and it didn't turn out so well... It worked but looked like garbage and barely fit back in the pack. I'm also wondering if there are any sources for the other 2 batteries inside. One looks to be a typical barrel battery with a cord coming off it, the other looks like a small pack of button cells? Part numbers 79F0986 and 65F0225 respectively.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Just got one of these laptops and I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt that battery packs before ...
    One earlier thread is at [here].

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Thanks for the link, sounds like the Nimh batteries may have some issues with the NiCd charging circuitry though? Also, I'd prefer to have the cells fit inside the original battery pack without cutting it up so I'm more inclined to use individual cells soldered together than a bigger pack.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    20191220_192948~2.jpg

    Here is a picture of the inside, 3 cells wide, 3 cells long and 2 layers. The cells measure just over 1 5/8" long and 5/8" diameter. Ideally I'd like to get NiCd cells slightly smaller but with the same rating to give me a little room to work with. I believe the cells are 1.2v each with 2 banks of 9 in parallel

  5. #5

    Default

    Those are most likely 3.7V Li-Ion batteries.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Those are most likely 3.7V Li-Ion batteries.
    Li-Ion? Says NiCd right on the label. It has a Panasonic lithium battery also in it but that's separate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Thanks for the link, sounds like the Nimh batteries may have some issues with the NiCd charging circuitry though?
    NiMH has nearly identical charging characteristics to NiCD, they can be interchanged in most cases without issues. NiMH generally offers a higher capacity than NiCD for a given cell size as well, resulting in longer run times for devices they power. NiCD batteries are getting hard to find because they've been banned in many countries because they contain cadmium.

    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    20191220_192948~2.jpg

    Here is a picture of the inside, 3 cells wide, 3 cells long and 2 layers. The cells measure just over 1 5/8" long and 5/8" diameter. Ideally I'd like to get NiCd cells slightly smaller but with the same rating to give me a little room to work with. I believe the cells are 1.2v each with 2 banks of 9 in parallel
    The closest cell size I can find is 4/5A, like this one:

    https://www.onlybatteries.com/showit...t1=60&uid=1906

    Another option is to retrofit Lithium Ion batteries. You could probably fudge the voltage close enough by using three 18650 cells in parallel with a 3S lithium ion protection board, which are available on Ebay like this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401577774712

    The max charge on 9 x NiMH is 13.5v while 3 x 18650 is 12.6. It depends on how smart the battery circuitry is though. Back in those days they didn't have very smart batteries because NiCD wasn't likely to explode like modern Lithium Ion batteries are. What you'd do is build up the new 18650 pack and connect the output across the old battery protection board.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    NiMH has nearly identical charging characteristics to NiCD, they can be interchanged in most cases without issues. NiMH generally offers a higher capacity than NiCD for a given cell size as well, resulting in longer run times for devices they power. NiCD batteries are getting hard to find because they've been banned in many countries because they contain cadmium.



    The closest cell size I can find is 4/5A, like this one:

    https://www.onlybatteries.com/showit...t1=60&uid=1906

    Another option is to retrofit Lithium Ion batteries. You could probably fudge the voltage close enough by using three 18650 cells in parallel with a 3S lithium ion protection board, which are available on Ebay like this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401577774712

    The max charge on 9 x NiMH is 13.5v while 3 x 18650 is 12.6. It depends on how smart the battery circuitry is though. Back in those days they didn't have very smart batteries because NiCD wasn't likely to explode like modern Lithium Ion batteries are. What you'd do is build up the new 18650 pack and connect the output across the old battery protection board.
    Thanks for the info. From the other thread it sounded like NiMH was more different. I think I might just go with those if they'll fir in the original pack

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Just ordered a new set of battery cells for the L40SX along with the Panasonic Lithium backup battery but I'm having trouble finding a replacement for the backup battery that's a small pack of 3 NiCd cells. I know I've seen similar ones before in other laptops but I'm striking out finding it on google.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,790

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •