Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amscope Microscope on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    How great would it be if 2 Amscope Microscopes arrive on my doorstep in the next couple of weeks? The refund was days after the seller marked shipped. l know, highly unlikely but I like to remain positive.
    It is about as likely as suddenly being surrounded by a blue-violet cone of light and being beamed up to the Alien mothership ! But it is still good to be positive, like the Atom, who said to his friend "I've lost an Electron" are you sure his friend asked ? Yes I'm positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    It is about as likely as suddenly being surrounded by a blue-violet cone of light and being beamed up to the Alien mothership ! But it is still good to be positive, like the Atom, who said to his friend "I've lost an Electron" are you sure his friend asked ? Yes I'm positive.
    lol - good one !

Blog Entries

Has anyone actually purchased a digital microscope that actually works? I was thinking about getting one to look for broken traces since they are coming down in price.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Has anyone actually purchased a digital microscope that actually works? I was thinking about getting one to look for broken traces since they are coming down in price.
    It could be good for very fine trace pcb's like modern Mobo's and other modern computer cards.

It is interesting that back in the late 1960's 1970's, where pcb's were taking over and point to point wiring on tag strips was going out the window, somebody came up with the idea of inspecting PCB track for cracks/breaks. I cannot recall though where I saw the invention published. It might have been in an electronics mag or popular mechanics.

It was a cylinder about 6" in diameter with a line powered light bulb in the base. On one of the cut ends a diffuser was placed, something like 1/4" thick opaque acrylic. This produced a very bright diffused light source, much like an X-ray viewer in a doctor's office or hospital, but much smaller in size.

The transistor radio (typically) pcb assembly was placed on the illuminated surface and a large magnifying glass placed on top of that. The light energy was enough to transilluminate the pcb and all sorts of detail could then be seen. Transillumination is a principle used in Dentistry, Medicine and even to check for cracks in eggs in the poultry industry, its analogous to a visible wavelength X-ray. It probably works better for modern fibreglass pcb's that older phenolic ones.

So a number of damaged pcb's could be detected this way. Obviously with a good light source and higher magnification more can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have an Amscope Trinocular microscope with a Barlow lens. I got a really good deal on it from a store that was going out of business. It has an articulating arm bolted to my workbench so it can swing completely out of the way.

I used my kid's 3d printer to make an adapter to use a modified Logitech 920 camera. I tend to not bother using the camera most of the time as I can visually scan boards much quicker with the 3d'ness (is that a word?) of using the two eye pieces. I also have a 3d printed iPhone adapter for an old iPhone 6 which I sometimes use to snap photos of damaged or repaired areas.