Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amscope Microscope on Ebay

You can "Report Item"s at the bottom of the page as potentially fraudulent. It would cost the $20 purchase price to send it from Hong Kong.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

The listing looks like it's an exact copy, text, pictures, everything, of an actual listing selling the scope for $460, which is a far more believable price. Clearly a rip off.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Yeah, but wouldn't you think if you're pulling a scam, that you would sell something a little more common ? Like a smart phone or tablet ? You would get a lot more buyers for something like that. I know not all scammers are the sharpest tool in the shed but if this is a scam, they got me. lol

Blog Entries

Not really. From the scams that I've seen with my time on eBay, the item should be uncommon enough to appeal to a limited audience and hence escape too much scrutiny. At the same time, it should be a readily available manufactured item.

I've seen where listings for one-of-a-kind collector's items have been pirated; those rarely pass eBay scrutiny.

Clearly, if you're offering a popular item, such as a $50 iPhone 11, you're going to attract some savvy purchasers who'll blow the whistle on you.

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    Yeah, but wouldn't you think if you're pulling a scam, that you would sell something a little more common ? Like a smart phone or tablet ? You would get a lot more buyers for something like that. I know not all scammers are the sharpest tool in the shed but if this is a scam, they got me. lol
    Heck, even PDP-8s have been listed by scammers, as seen in this thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-Obvious-Fraud
    Wanted: TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8341), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    I guess they setup this "sale", get a bunch of purchases and then close the account that is used for payment before all the refunds can be processed. Then eBay is out the money because they refund it to you.
    They could have listed at a higher price, like $49.99 or even $99.99 and made even more
    The current price screams "too good to be true". These crooks clearly are not professional

They usually list several expensive items for little money, 213 sales supposedly for just that one listing = 4k + in the pot, a lot of money.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 163.com as a source of SPAM to one of my "open" accounts.

I got scammed once on Ebay, for a non existent $100 oscilloscope. The seller had got its photo from somewhere and used that for the auction.

I thought I would have a go at investigating it myself. I found the seller had once completed another auction and I managed with some effort to contact another of his buyers. In the end I got his home phone number and found his address in the USA. I phoned him up and asked where my scope was and quoted his address, boy did he freak out. I also reported him to the the local police precinct in his neighborhood and they said they were going around to have a chat with him. I hope he is still looking over his shoulder. Ebay refunded it of course. It is is good to let fraudsters know they cannot always get away with it and someday somebody will catch up with them.

Well, eBay just game me a full refund without me saying anything. Their reason is that the seller couldn't provide a tracking number which I find strange as a reason. I have purchased plenty of electronic parts from China on eBay and the seller never provided tracking numbers and I did received these parts. How great would it be if 2 Amscope Microscopes arrive on my doorstep in the next couple of weeks? The refund was days after the seller marked shipped. l know, highly unlikely but I like to remain positive.