Image Map Image Map

Thread: WTB: Used i5 Laptop

Default WTB: Used i5 Laptop

My current laptop still technically works but it has problems like a broken and rattling speaker, freezing often on boot requiring a restart, sometimes the screen goes blank with a weird line also requiring a restart, etc it does work but it's annoying and it is time for a "new" one.

Now, I don't need anything brand new or powerful, just something I can use for webbrowsing, burning discs, and older games, etc.

The main specs of my current laptop is:

2.5ghz i5
    3GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics.

I'd like something with at least a 2.5ghz i5, 3GB of ram, don't care too much about the graphics because even the games I would run on it, would be older anyways.

I am looking in multiple places, but I see that about $150-$180 Canadian, seems to be the going rate for things around and a little above these specs, used.

So I'm willing to offer up to $180 Canadian + Shipping.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I always prefer IBM, now Lenovo, ThinkPad T-series laptops. Anything above a T400 (T410/420/430) can have a 2.53GHz or better Core 2 Duo CPU.

See this for examples:
    https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd005598

I'm currently using a CTO (Configure To Order) T400, P9500 2.53GHz, 3GB RAM, 1440x900 Intel Mobile 4 video, Win 7 Pro SP1. With Type nnnn-Cxx (CTO) submodels you must ensure you know what options are included and configured, keyboard layout etc., etc.

Yeah, a thinkpad would be good. On the 27th I am going to check out a few local places to see what I can find in person.

One thing I do need, is an optical drive DVDRW to be more specific, it's a necessity for me.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I have an OptiARC DVD+/-RW (UltraSlimBay I believe is the form factor name) with Dual-Layer support. IMGBURN is my software of choice.

https://imgur.com/JLGZk1B

N.B. Lenovo has recently demoted their support for the T400 and T410 to history. Support for the T420+ is currently still there.
    Last edited by WBST; December 25th, 2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added Lenovo Support changes note.

Changed plans a bit, just ordered this: https://www.infotechcomputers.ca/pro...kpad-t430-i5//

Should get it next week.

A T430 (link's dead) a good choice. If all the ThinkVantage SW is installed and current, you may find it's still in warranty (3 years IIRC). If you go to Lenovo Support you can load any updates needed.

N.B. Be sure to turn the thing over and make a note of the Type-Model and S/N first!!

yeah 1TB HD, 8Gb RAM, much better than I need from a laptop, should last me a while, and of course I can easily upgrade it because I heard it uses a socket board so the ram, the hard drive, and even the processor can be upgraded.