Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates for Windows NT and 98SE

Default Updates for Windows NT and 98SE

I've worked out how to get windows updates for W2K and later, but updates for NT and 98/SE still eludes me.

Firstly, are there any updates available for these systems? If so, what patches do I need to get Internet Explorer to connect to the Windows Update site?

All the pages that I've visited have broken links. Can anyone help?

Blog Entries

For 98SE and NT, about the latest you can get are the "unofficial service packs", which are basically rollups of important updates. They're available on the web. Don't expect any online updates from the guys in Bellevue--they quit those platforms long ago.

Blog Entries

Windows Update for Windows 98 has been defunct for nearly 15 years now.
    I know that Windows 98 has an unofficial service pack but I've found it to not only force some tweaks on you even if you deselect them when applying it but there were performance hits I really couldn't nail down what they were, other than it happened after the service pack was applied. People have been saying an updated service pack as been in the works for years but I think at this point everyone just forgot.

For Windows NT 4 you can still download Service pack 6 and 6a directly from Microsoft and winworld.

Blog Entries

There's also an unofficial service pack for XP.

Then there's an unofficial pack for 2K that accommodates many XP binaries. Don't know if there's something similar for NT.

I've never had any issues with the unofficial 98SE SP, but I suppose your mileage will vary.

You don't use Windows Update or Internet Exploiter with Windows NT 4. (In fact, if you care about software quality, you won't install IE 3 or later at all.*) You install Service Pack 6a, the Security Rollup Package, then various individual post-SP6a hotfixes, one at a time.** There were publicly-distributed security hotfixes as well as many non-security "by request only" hotfixes (most importantly, if you intend on using the Emergency Repair Disk feature, the Q307866 "SRP Fix-up" patch). Microsoft purged many (but not all) of their older downloads and Knowledge Base articles a few years back, so you'll have to dig many of the security hotfixes out of the Wayback Machine. They also shut down their server holding all the by-request hotfixes for all their products more recently, so unfortunately those are generally no longer obtainable at this time. (I did manage to archive locally all the NT 4 hotfixes from that server, as well as those for some others including NT 3.51, Windows 3.1, and 95...)

This page is a good guide of important (mostly security) updates to install (again, most linked pages will need to be found in the Wayback Machine), and this former page gave many direct links (for the English, Intel-platform versions) that could be tried or plugged into the Wayback Machine, along with listing some of the non-security hotfixes that were offered.

* And let me be particularly clear that anyone who claims that installing IE or the "Active Desktop" IE-integrated shell is "important" to update system files or "improve" security has no idea what they're talking about. The actual "system files", including the original non-IE Explorer shell, are updated just fine through the service packs and hotfixes. If anything, installing an invasive and notoriously insecure browser, let alone the abusive integrated OS shell, worsens your security.

** Microsoft did release a utility called QChain that allows one to install multiple hotfixes with one reboot, but I haven't (yet) tried this and what I got from the KB article is that care should be exercised in its use.

Thanks for the replies.

I had already found NT4SP6a, and another rollup which I called 6b. But neither of these enabled the online windows update in IE6. If there's nothing online, then there's no real need to look further. That winworld site looks very interesting though, thanks for the link.

I might just leave my win98SE (500Mhz celeron) alone then, it does an excellent job with the various DOS-based FPS-games that I like to play.

Blog Entries

I can check my MSDN sets, but I don't believe that IE6 was ever offered for NT4.

Blog Entries

Wikipedia seems to imply it saw an NT release but SP6a is required.

Just checked the NT 4.0 hard drives here, and 7 of them have IE6.0.2800.1106 - they say SP6 at boot, but I suppose they might have 6a - (seems i can use winver to find out).

Also, IE6.0.2800.1106 is installed into the Win98SE (mentioned above), and also a Win98.

I was under the impression that IE6 would fit into any version of Windows from 95 to XP.
    Last edited by Robbbert; December 26th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Probably, but there's always the doubt because of the relatively close release dates of NT 4 (1996) and 95 (1995) that there might be some incompatibility.

How about IE6 on NT 3.51?

I won't bother to check my MSDN sources then.