Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates for Windows NT and 98SE

1. Default

I don't know - I don't have NT 3.51. In fact, the only time I ever saw 3.51 was when someone from I.T. had just installed it on a pc, and was boasting that it would never crash. At that moment, it froze. I had to laugh.

Blog Entries

3.51 was yards better than NT 3.1. I used it for quite awhile. Of all of the old NT releases, I think I liked 2K the best--better than 4 because of power-saving features, PnP and ACPI and pretty darned stable. Shame it didn't much more play in the general population.

3. Default

It was only a few weeks ago that I replaced my 3 remaining regular in-use W2K machines with Win7 ones. There was nothing wrong with W2K, it's just that the hardware was getting old. I think it was an excellent OS.

I like Win 2k i used it for years, I think it's a great OS and found it very stable, I still use it on my Tweener booting between DOS and 2k.

I just restored an older HP Vectra VL P166 and installed Windows NT 4.0 SP1, then installed SP6 from a disk. When checking the "Defrag" tool, it states "NO DEFRAGMENTATION TOOL IS CURRENTLY INSTALLED"

Was defrag ever an option in NT? Is it maybe in one of the earlier service packs?

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Windows Update for Windows 98 has been defunct for nearly 15 years now.
    For Windows NT 4 you can still download Service pack 6 and 6a directly from Microsoft and winworld.
    Be carefull with Windows NT 4, and for 3.51 it's the same. You need a lot of service packs, not only the latest, they are not kummulative. The horrible is, that you need them all, and you need to install them by the right order. Otherwise you will brick the system. And every update needs reboot, so take your time to setup... For NT 3.51 the last thing after the service packs is an Y2K fix. To setup the machine, better make sure that it runs with a date before 2000, and only after appliying the Y2K fix set the machine to current date.

Quote Originally Posted by acad_2k View Post
    Was defrag ever an option in NT? Is it maybe in one of the earlier service packs?
    I think there was no defrag tool with NT, You can use a few 3rd party tools.

8. Default

Definitely no defrag tool supplied. However, a company produced their own which you could buy. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the name of the company or product.

Microsoft later bought out the company, and integrated the defragger inside MMC, which is what you see in W2K and XP. At least you now know what the product looks like.

okay, thanks. Others has suggested "diskeeper" which I will try.

Can I pose a related question? Why did Microsoft kill off their online updates but Apple still has them going back to early OS X releases possibly older? Honestly I am not a big advocate for modern Apple but that is definitely a huge plus on their part for keeping that going.