Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Updates for Windows NT and 98SE

1. Default

I've never owned or used anything by Apple, so I had to find out when OS/X first appeared, which was 1999. Now Windows 2000 also appeared in 1999, and updates are still available, so it would appear that the support timelines are similar. There's no support for Office 2000 though, so it appears some things get more support than others.

I've been using Windows 2K since it came out. I seem to recall a "roll-up" by MS prior to discontinuing support

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    Be carefull with Windows NT 4, and for 3.51 it's the same. You need a lot of service packs, not only the latest, they are not kummulative. The horrible is, that you need them all, and you need to install them by the right order. Otherwise you will brick the system. And every update needs reboot, so take your time to setup... For NT 3.51 the last thing after the service packs is an Y2K fix. To setup the machine, better make sure that it runs with a date before 2000, and only after appliying the Y2K fix set the machine to current date.
    Uh, wow, you don't know what you're talking about, I'm sorry to say. Something else was wrong in your experience to have caused those problems... if you're even basing that on experience. NT Service Packs *are* indeed cumulative. Microsoft stated as much (for both NT 3.51 and 4.0), and I've installed SP6a directly on to NT 4.0 RTM installations without issue. It is the various (post-final-SP) *hotfixes* that one installs one by one with a reboot in between (apart from using QChain) and should install in approximately chronological order.

It's long time ago that I had NT in front of me, I think I shut down my last NT3.51 in 2003, but with service pack that was recommendation by MS and I bricked it by myself with wrong order / missing SPs back in time, and I had customers confirming this. You can believe or not, up to you. But don't complain that I didnt told you so. Anyhow, it's not big damage, just reinstall from scratch...

I just installed NT 4.0 SP1 in an old 'puter. I have SP 3, 4 and 6 on disks and installed only 6. During the install, the directions state that the service packs are cumulative.

Blog Entries

As far as I'm aware, that's always been true--one exception that I can think of is XP SP3 being a requirement for later Service Packs (at least that's what I recall).

Check out if AGP card and USB (NT and USB 1.1 only) ist working properly, if not, then you know why.