Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: How do you view the preservation of vintage computers and their components?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Vintage Computer Collector should not destroy, recycle or similarly dispose of such hardware.

5 29.41%
  • A Vintage Computer Collector who is the owner of that equipment can dispose of it accordingly.

3 17.65%
  • A Vintage Computer User should not destroy, recycle or similarly dispose of such hardware.

2 11.76%
  • A Vintage Computer User who is the owner of that equipment can dispose of it accordingly.

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you view the preservation of vintage computers and their component

Default How do you view the preservation of vintage computers and their component

How would you categorize your involvement and philosophy with regard to the preservation of vintage computers and their components?

For the purposes of this poll you are either a Vintage Computer Collector or a Vintage Computer User who has them for work or enjoys them for another reason and is not a Collector, per se.

You may only select one of the four choices.
    Last edited by lutiana; December 26th, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Not sure what you're on about, but I view the preservation of documentation far more than any bit of hardware. Eventually, the hardware will be lost to natural deterioration, natural catastrophe or just plain "I need to get rid of this stuff and don't have the time to deal with a bunch of people who want to complicate my life."

The documentation will offer insights into the thought and design, as well as operation.

Put it another way--would you rather have a bunch of tapes that you can't read (easily) or the data contained thereon? One is pretty to look at, I guess, but the other has real meaning.

Blog Entries

The part that needs preserving is the design evolution of the components and the software they ran. The Physical machines and components don't really matter.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I can't really make a selection because I believe that no one should dispose of this equipment, but I believe in private property rights so of course they may

Blog Entries

I think you need to fix the poll; the questions are duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Not sure what you're on about, but I view the preservation of documentation far more than any bit of hardware. Eventually, the hardware will be lost to natural deterioration, natural catastrophe or just plain "I need to get rid of this stuff and don't have the time to deal with a bunch of people who want to complicate my life."

The documentation will offer insights into the thought and design, as well as operation.

Put it another way--would you rather have a bunch of tapes that you can't read (easily) or the data contained thereon? One is pretty to look at, I guess, but the other has real meaning.
    without a tangible representation of a technology (be it electronic or otherwise,) my mind is utterly disinterested in learning the concepts that underpin it

i.e. my only interest in books is to help me learn more about physical things that I can interact with, reading in abstract is about as appealing as hitting myself in the groin with a hammer

Blog Entries

...and yet, all of this started out as intangibles. For me, that's where understanding starts and ends. Physical embodiment might be useful, but it's the thought that counts.

I take it that you're not a mathematician or physicist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ...and yet, all of this started out as intangibles. For me, that's where understanding starts and ends. Physical embodiment might be useful, but it's the thought that counts.

I take it that you're not a mathematician or physicist.
    I do love mathematics, the elegance and purity are compelling, but the bottom line is I'm a junkie to sensory stimuli and a materialist

Blog Entries

As I do a lot of data retrieval, I routinely encounter media and data for which functionally operating computer systems are no longer in existence. It's the old documentation that makes saving the information possible (Thanks, Al). It's not at all unusual that the client no longer wants the original medium--it's not what matters.

Once you've got the data retrieved, you can rig up an emulation/simulation to bring it back to life.

I'm not much interested in accumulating clay tablets so much as the information they contain.

Blog Entries

The questions are for a separation of user from collector. To be a useful poll, it would need to have the ability to accept an answer for both user and collector cases. Though I don't believe there is a clear demarcation between the two, most computer collectors also plan on using the equipment.