Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Brand new unopened Pentium II 400MHz or 450MHz boxed CPU

Default Wanted: Brand new unopened Pentium II 400MHz or 450MHz boxed CPU

I'm wanting to build a 100% new retro PC. Anybody have any unused PII's for sale? For $150 or less? Thanks!

I know you are looking for (retail?) boxed, but when I get back up north in February I have about 18 new old stock P-II 300MHz CPUs. I'll sell you one for $5 + shipping. These are IBM OEM CPU upgrades in the original IBM cardboard shipping box with an IBM server motherboard adhesive decal. They also have a factory installed HSF already mounted. If you want one just remind me via PM in early Feb. Cheers.

Blog Entries

Once you build the 100% "new" retro-PC, it won't be 100% new once you power it on to test, will it?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around your reasoning.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure if you let go of the boxed aspect you will find quite a few of us with spare modules for sale far below your $150 price.

I've got a brand new boxed 300mhz one I would let go for a lot less than $150

Please use the private message system to make direct offers.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Once you build the 100% "new" retro-PC, it won't be 100% new once you power it on to test, will it?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around your reasoning.
    You're taking it literally my friend. I'm wanting to build a completely new PC from brand new unopened unused parts so I have a system that can outlive all the existing used PC's out there. It's getting harder and harder for me to find these classic computers in working condition. I only keep a few computers now, so I want them to be really good ones. The best ones I can make given my years of tech knowledge and skill.

Blog Entries

The problem is that at the time of the PII machines, the "capacitor plague" had set in. You may well get a new PII motherboard, but don't be surprised if it doesn't outlast a used P1 or 486 board.

I thought the capacitor plague was mainly 1999-2000 era stuff. It was still common for me to find working PII systems in the early 2010's, so I know they can still have a decent lifespan.

Actually I'll take any speed Pentium II that's still in it's original box and shrink wrap. When this stuff gets so rare, you can't be picky.

In my experience I've actually seen far more faulty Pentium 1 machines back in the early 2010's than newer systems like these! The local tech shop I used to volunteer at stopped recycling old computers about a few years ago. That's where I got all my goodies at!

There are still a couple shops I can visit, but they get nowhere near as many 90's computers as the shop I used to help recycle computers at. Now this old stuff is getting rare as hen's teeth in general. I'm learning the hard way not to take it all for granted.
    Last edited by computerdude92; January 3rd, 2020 at 12:40 AM.