Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: televideo 386 system where to find information about it

Blog Entries

Default televideo 386 system where to find information about it

Hi got this Televideo 386 system post to a banner about entering setup and says "tele-386" search for the model and can't find any info.
    Anyone knows about it ?.

Blog Entries

You don't have either of the two Televideo 386 systems I can find reference to. There was an earlier backplane design and a later design with a relabeled motherboard that used SIMMs. You may need to take some more detailed pictures of the motherboard and expansion cards to let anyone else determine what Televideo used as the basis for this model.

ST-11 is a well documented MFM or RLL controller. The drive looks like a Kalok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    And is probably dead. The Kaloks and Octagons didn't exactly have a sterling reliability record.

Blog Entries

The motherboard is massive and is in a nice tray that can be removed from the front,

the bios seems to be accessed using a special floppy because when the computer start it complains that the setup need to be configured but there's seem not to be any key to press to access it and you get stuck there.
    Shows 640k of ram + 4 meg expanded memory, i think the massive board full of chips is a 4 meg expansion have a extra edge connector never seen one like them. The 640k base memory are in the other 16 bit isa expansion card looks like a normal xt base memory card.
    The motherboard don't have any memory on it.

more pictures:

Blog Entries

more

Blog Entries

You don't have either of the two Televideo 386 systems I can find reference to. There was an earlier backplane design and a later design with a relabeled motherboard that used SIMMs. You may need to take some more detailed pictures of the motherboard and expansion cards to let anyone else determine what Televideo used as the basis for this model.

found this on pc magazine seems to by this system:
    https://books.google.com.uy/books?id...386%22&f=false

Blog Entries

That PC Magazine article does seem to match with what you have except that yours is newer. Wish the article mentioned if this Televideo included SETUP in ROM like the late 1989 model. 4 chip ROM with no BASIC should have a lot of features. The only switches I see are on the memory card so it is either ROM or a special SETUP disk.

I can't find the motherboard over at Stason. The 32-bit expansion connector design adjacent to the 8-bit connector only shows up in a few motherboards but none is exactly the same.

I think the first step should be to get the keyboard working.

Blog Entries

That PC Magazine article does seem to match with what you have except that yours is newer. Wish the article mentioned if this Televideo included SETUP in ROM like the late 1989 model. 4 chip ROM with no BASIC should have a lot of features. The only switches I see are on the memory card so it is either ROM or a special SETUP disk.

I can't find the motherboard over at Stason. The 32-bit expansion connector design adjacent to the 8-bit connector only shows up in a few motherboards but none is exactly the same.

I think the first step should be to get the keyboard working.
    sorry i don't know why but linked the wrong article this is the correct one:
    https://books.google.com.uy/books?id...%2F386&f=false

Tested a standard at keyboard and is detected fine i can press F1 but then it will try to read from the 5.25 floppy drive.
    I have to install a 5.25 in another pc and make a boot disk to test if i can start from a floppy.
    Also searched for the part number of the motherboard but is no where to be find.

Found that sometime in the past the manuals for this computer where sold on ebay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legacy-Te...p2047675.l2557
    Its a shame i can't get a copy now.

Blog Entries

According to the article seems the motherboard has been designed internally by televideo.
    For that reason is so big even without having any ram onboard.

Also from the pictures seems to have some anti gravity technology the monitors appears to be floating.

Blog Entries

The board is a bit strange using 8KB (2764) PROMs for the BIOS when the rest of the 386 world was using 32KB (27256) and larger PROMs. I've got a no-chipset 386 board here (may have been made by Everex) that uses an AMI (I think) BIOS; I can dump it and you can try it out on your system.

Absent that, someone once posted a list of "keystrokes to get into the BIOS setup" some time ago. It helped me on a 486 board that I use; the POST signon gives no indication of what to use.