Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new mTCP is available! (version 2020-01-01)

Default A new mTCP is available! (version 2020-01-01)

The short story: a new version of mTCP is available at http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

The longer story ...

While the pace of releases has slowed in the past few years, rest assured that I am still actively fixing bugs and making improvements. This release improves flow control for TCP connections that are experiencing dropped packets, fixes ANSI emulation bugs in Telnet, sees a mostly rewritten (and improved!) HTGet, and adds a new feature to FTP to help people avoid corrupting data by using the wrong file transfer mode. The full list of changes can be found at http://brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_2020-01...ase_Notes.html .

Downloads:

All downloads can be found at http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/.

Two versions of the programs are available for download. The standard version contains the standard EXE files. The UPX version contains EXE files that have been compressed with the UPX utility to save room on disk. When you run these versions they take a little longer to start, but if you are tight on disk space or are using floppy disks this is a good trade-off.

Documentation is available separately as a PDF file. I donít include the PDF file with the binary versions because small DOS machines often can read PDF files.

Source code and developer documentation is available in a separate zip archive.

Support:

As always, if you have a bug report, are having trouble making things work, or just have a suggestion please email me at mbbrutman@gmail.com. While I might see bug reports or help requests in other places, email is the best, most direct way to get my attention.

Enjoy!
    -Mike

Outstanding

And just for giggles, the PCjr is serving the same web pages as the main site:

I'll leave it running for a few days.

Nice new year gift ...

Blog Entries

Woohoo!

I'd like to benchmark my various adapters using the raw socket performance testing you used to create mTCP_Performance.html. Is this outlined in the documentation, or should I just blast NC.EXE with netcat?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I think it's in the doc, but here is a quick synopsis:

Send test:
    • Run "spdtest -send -listen 2000 -mb 8" (change the amount of data to be transferred as appropriate)
    • Linux side: time netcat your_dos_machine 2000 > delete.me

Receive test:
    • Run "spdtest -receive -listen 2000"
    • Linux side: time netcat your_dos_machine 2000 < delete.me

Doing it in this order has the advantage of having the input file for netcat created for you instead of using to use DD to generate data first.

Time the transfer from the Linux side; on the DOS side some packet drivers disable interrupts for too long, causing clock skew. I use the best 3 out of five transfers.

I also have newer timing data to post; I just couldn't get it all done at once. I'd appreciate (and post) any timing data that anybody wants to send me. I'm also looking to post a collection of packet drivers, so I'll take those too.

Thanks!
    Mike

Excellent! Downloaded and installed, looking forward to trying to put it through its paces on my weird mongrel of a machine.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Very cool will install it thanks for the new release

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Send test:
    • Run "spdtest -send -listen 2000 -mb 8" (change the amount of data to be transferred as appropriate)
    • Linux side: time netcat your_dos_machine 2000 > delete.me

Receive test:
    • Run "spdtest -receive -listen 2000"
    • Linux side: time netcat your_dos_machine 2000 < delete.me
    Turns out you need "-q 0" when netcat sends, or else it never closes, so: time netcat -q 0 1.2.3.4 2000 < delete.me

For an Intel Etherexpress 8/16 (running in 8-bit mode) on an IBM 5160 (4.77 MHz, original 8088), over a wireless dongle attached to the ethernet card, my times are:

Send test: 2:00.89 (about 67 KB/s)
    Receive test: 1:52.29 (about 73 KB/s)
    MTU: 1500, MSS Local 1460, Remote 1460

I got curious if the dongle was substantially affecting transfer rates, so I hooked up a cat5 cable and retested and saw no significant improvement (1-2 seconds variance).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It depends on the netcat package you have installed. Apparently there is a "NetBSD" version and a traditional version. (Or something like that.)