Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new mTCP is available! (version 2020-01-01)

Er, I forgot to mention this ... I'm testing a few machines today and I'll have more recent data uploaded later.

Ok, some more results ...

Code:
    Send:    43.4, Recv:    40.5, PCjr (NEC V20@4.77Mhz), Xircom PE3 on a bi-directional parallel port
    Send:    76.7, Recv:    77.0, PCjr (NEC V20@4.77Mhz), 3Com 3C503 (8 bit ISA Bus)
    Send:   115.3, Recv:   117.6, PCjr (NEC V20@4.77Mhz), WD8003WT (8 bit ISA Bus)
    Send:   190.3, Recv:   191.9, PS/2 Model 25 (8086@8Mhz), 3Com 3C503
    Send:   702.0, Recv:  1001.8, 80386DX@40Mhz, Davicom (16 bit ISA Bus)
    Send: 10638.4, Recv: 10590.3, Pentium 133, LinkSys 100LNE (PCI Bus)
    So your Intel card is running around where the PCjr with the 3Com 3C503 is. The Jr has a little bit of a boost because of the NEC V20 but otherwise it's a comparable platform.

Random observations:
    • The WD8003 is a standout card; the onboard memory really makes it fly.
    • The 3Com 3C503 can perform reasonably well when given a better bus; the Model 25 is getting almost 2.5x better speeds than the PCjr when the expected speedup is closer to 2x.
    • The 386 confuses me .. it can handle the full line speed of the card when receiving but can only hit about 70% on sending.
    • The Pentium 133 was incredible .. Those speeds are about maxing out a 100Mb/sec connection. (The send rate is 87 megabits per second!)

Blog Entries

Another speed test, and a bug report:

AT&T PC 6300, 8MHz 8086, NSC 8390-based board using the SMC/WD/IBM packet driver: 163KB/s send, 165KB/s receive

Bug report: I still have to run DHCP a second time after setting the time or else I get "your DHCP lease has expired". To work around this, my autoexec.bat looks like:

dhcp
    sntp -set xxxx
    dhcp
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quibble - that's not a bug.

If you ran DHCP before setting the system time then it's going to write a bad timestamp. Then you run SNTP and the machine jumps far into the future. Which makes the DHCP timestamp look prehistoric.

What you really want is a combined DHCP/SNTP program that gets an IP address, the current time, and then writes it out once. But that's a convenience; the workaround to run DHCP twice is good enough for now.

The AT&T seems slow; the PS/2 model 25 with the same CPU and clock rate is faster with a 3Com 3C503 card. Do you know the exact card that is in the AT&T?

Blog Entries

The exact card appears to be an SMC Elite16 Combo (8013 EWC). It is exactly this card: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-8013EWC...-/282393242179. It also has a RAM window of 8KB, which I've configured at D000. (port 280, IRQ 3, for the curious)

I'll test as many different brands of cards as I can in my 8086 (it's a real 8086, not an NEC V30) and report back. The Intel Etherexpress series of cards (I have two to test) will have to use my EXP8.COM packet driver because the default crnwyr driver (and I think the Intel-provided EXP16.COM) require 80186 instructions, ironically.
    Last edited by Trixter; March 15th, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Quibble - that's not a bug.

If you ran DHCP before setting the system time then it's going to write a bad timestamp. Then you run SNTP and the machine jumps far into the future. Which makes the DHCP timestamp look prehistoric.

What you really want is a combined DHCP/SNTP program that gets an IP address, the current time, and then writes it out once. But that's a convenience; the workaround to run DHCP twice is good enough for now.

The AT&T seems slow; the PS/2 model 25 with the same CPU and clock rate is faster with a 3Com 3C503 card. Do you know the exact card that is in the AT&T?
    wouldn't an easy fix be to make the SNTP program calculate the offset between existing system time and the internet time, then adjust the DHCP timestamp accordingly and write it back to the config file?

you could qualify the write on the timestamp being X number of seconds away from system time to make sure it only takes effect when running them back to back

That would probably work, but it's not really worth fixing - it's easy enough to just run DHCP again after SNTP to rewrite the timestamp with the current time.

In general I don't like mixing functions from different programs together. The DHCP utility writes the DHCP information, and SNTP fetches the time. Adding code to SNTP to handle DHCP timestamps doesn't help on newer machines that have a clock and also leads to more code to maintain.

I've thought about a combined utility but it's low on the priority list, mostly for the same reasons - not too many machines need it and it's duplicated code. I think things like IPv6, additional FTP features, a simplified HTTP server, etc. probably are more important.

Blog Entries

A command-line option to SNTP to adjust the DHCP lease shouldn't be too hard to add, but adding a note to the documentation about how SNTP must always be followed by DHCP on systems without a battery-backed clock would be helpful.

So, I tried other cards, and quickly realized why I use this network card in the 6300: Like all M24-based systems without the "bus adapter kit", 16-bit port reads fail on the 6300, as the bytes return swapped. So you can only use memory-window-based cards, and this is the only card I have that provides a memory window and doesn't require an AUI transceiver. I think the speed differences we're seeing is because mine only has an 8k window, although I'll check the packet driver to see if it's doing something stupid.
    Offering a bounty for:

The current table of results is posted here: http://brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_Performance.html

Blog Entries

Feature request: Add MFMT to FTPSRV. This would ensure that files I dump onto a new vintage system retain their date/timestamps. To do that today on drives not practical to hook up to modern systems, I have to zip everything, then unzip on the vintage system. If there isn't 2x the room, this gets tedious

REST would be helpful too, for dodgy connections that keep restarting. But this isn't as critical.
    Offering a bounty for: