Image Map Image Map

Thread: Make my own 5150

Default Make my own 5150

hello to all

I want make own IBM 5150 motherboard. I see same product in "http://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html".
    I need this board schematic full.
    i want read it deep that understand how to word it. and remake it.
    i want edit it a bit. or replace few component.
    i search for full schematic in google. but do not find it.
    can you help me?

thank a lot.

Blog Entries

You can find the schematic for the original 5150 in the PC Tech reference manual over on Minus Zero Degrees.

I don't know what you used for a search engine but Google for "IBM 5150 Schematic" gets you a whole potload of hits

The people over at MTM have explicitly said that they used the 5150 Tech Ref as their basis.

But I don't know what good this will do you, as the MTM boards have been sold out for quite some time.

I just happen to have the schematics of the 5160 in Eagle, although not complete: it only has two slots instead of the original five. Just blame my laziness. No board. It isn't a 5150 but if you really want a 5150, to change this SCH is easier than to start from scratch. Just send me a PM using the email address found on my site then I can send it to you from home. In that case I also can add some schematics of some clones that include a turbo mode.

And may I point you to an older project of Sergey: the XI8088. It also has turbo but uses SRAM instead of DRAM and using EEPROM instead of EPROM; some nice ideas to use yourself.

Question: why a 5150 and not a 5160, because that is the only case you have?
    Last edited by Ruud; January 1st, 2020 at 11:15 PM.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

The 5150 board (PCB) seems to be still available at http://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html for $39.50 shipped to US.

Hmmm, just popped up: what about a board that fits into an ATX-case? Just an idea

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    Hmmm, just popped up: what about a board that fits into an ATX-case? Just an idea
    Like this? https://monotech.fwscart.com/NuXT_-_..._19777986.aspx

More or less, yes. To be honest, I was thinking about a board with only standard ICs. My reason: the chance that they are available is much higher then any 'old' ASIC or other type of custom IC. But that is a personal choice.

But using the hole reserved for the connectors for a CF card is a very good idea!

www.baltissen.org