Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neutralizing battery acid on board

Default Neutralizing battery acid on board

Just got a brand new Tandy Cordless Mouse I wamted to start using but the barrel battery inside leaked pretty badly. I think I can save it but is there any good way to neutralize the acid that's already soaked into the board? I've never tried before because all the motherboards I had with battery damage were too far gone to be saved

white vinegar

the leakage is alkaline

Ditto... there's no acid coming from those batteries. It's a base so you need an acid to neutralize it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

below - sorry double post for some reason . . .
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Also . . .

A spoonful of baking soda made into a 'paste' and scrubbed with an old toothbrush using distilled water from Mama's iron.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; January 2nd, 2020 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Also . . .

A spoonful of baking power made into a 'paste' and scrubbed with an old toothbrush using distilled water from Mama's iron.
    Not 'baking power' or baking powder, or even baking soda which is what you really want to use to neutralize an acid. They're all basic. These batteries leak a basic compound and you need an acid to neutralize a base.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Yep. White vinegar to neutralize the caustic bases and scrub with a q-tip or toothbrush. Then follow with some isopropanol to clean off the vinegar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not 'baking power' or baking powder, or even baking soda which is what you really want to use to neutralize an acid. They're all basic. These batteries leak a basic compound and you need an acid to neutralize a base.
    Well, I wanted to start the year off right with a nice snafu. Mainly, I wanted to see if you were on your toes this morning.

Ok, I didn't realize the leakage was alkaline, guess I'll get some vinegar on it asap. Kind of weird everyone refers to it as "battery acid" even when it's not

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Ok, I didn't realize the leakage was alkaline, guess I'll get some vinegar on it asap. Kind of weird everyone refers to it as "battery acid" even when it's not
    Lead acid batteries are very common (motor vehicles, security systems, battery backups, etc.) and they do in fact contain acid. People just started referring to all battery fluids as "acid" because of that.