MSV11 (set of four, failed a test)
    MSV11 (set of four, failed a test)

Pete

This week's stuff:
    A switch board from a PDP-8i
    Two lots of single and dual extenders
    Two lots of misc PDP-8 chip-flips, mostly W-series
    A Tek 7904A O-scope
    An HP-35 calculator (everyone needs one to "do the math"...)

Pete

Check the box for the eBay Global Shipping Program. You just mail the package to their facility in the US and they reship it for you. Sometimes it costs the buyer a lot, sometimes it's pretty reasonable, but it doesn't cost the seller anything. I don't like the GSP but eBay makes it such a pain to do international shipping now (they won't help sellers at all if someone pulls the old customs wait scam).

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Check the box for the eBay Global Shipping Program. You just mail the package to their facility in the US and they reship it for you.
    Thanks, I guess I should read up on that...

Pete

New stuff this week:
    BDV11
    M9400 + M9401 pair, with cables
    H213 core memory
    11/03 front panel board (older type, as used in original PDP-11/03 box)
    MSV11 M7955 (old quad type, as found in old LSI-11 systems)

HP-35 calculator still available (I'm a little surprised it didn't sell...)

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by saipan59 View Post
    Sorry about that. International means: finding (or buying) different packaging (can't use the USPS 1-rate boxes), making and printing a Customs form, and standing in line at the Post Office.
    Pete
    Update on my recent experiences related to international shipping:
    Sold a Tek 7904A scope yesterday (ship weight about 50 lbs). Got a really good price. But the high bidder is in **Germany**. I had not blocked overseas bidders, just overseas shipping. **Sigh**. So, he had researched online and found a Navis office that is local to me. He asks me how much I would charge to deliver it to Navis across town. I tell him $15 extra (it's an 18 mile trip; Navis would charge him $75 to pick it up from me.). No big problem so far - I'm willing to do that. Meanwhile, he's still waiting for a quote from Navis -- he doesn't understand how expensive it will be... I happen to know the lady at Navis - she says it will require a wood crate (per Navis rules), and 100 lb weight minimum. I look online at FexEx and UPS and DHL, and enter params for a cardboard box with 3" of padding on all sides. Shipping rates are **over $800** (perhaps because there is no "economy sea mail" option). I strongly advise the German fellow to cancel his bid - he says he will do that if the Navis quote is much more than 106 Euros (which is what he says he could do the same shipment from Germany to U.S., presumably by ship, which would take about a month).
    Meanwhile, I haven't been paid, most likely he will cancel, and I will do a "2nd chance offer" to the next-highest bidder.

Also happening this week: On another (small) item, the bidder is in France. He provided an address in Miami for a warehouse/mailbox place, because his son lives there. The package has been at a Miami post office "awaiting pickup" for 5 days. Today he asks me to call the mailbox place for him... Sure, I can do that. No answer. I look it up online - the place seems slightly sketchy to me. I advise him to get his son to go knock on the door... Not really my problem of course, but he seems like a good guy, he had bought from me before, and I wanted to help, but I'm pretty much done helping. If the mailbox place doesn't pick it up, eventually the P.O. will send it back to me. Then I have a problem again - I won't just keep his money, so I'll have to deal with it again...

Moral of the story: The frustration is not worth it. Out of all the stuff I've sold in the last few weeks (34 items), two of them were international buyers, and BOTH of them have issues. Someone else can do the international selling! I'm done. I set my eBay to block bidders with non-U.S. addresses, and of course no international shipping options.

Pete

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that. Just curious, you also sell other non computer-related items to overseas customers (with customs forms presumably needed) and am just wondering if you have the same level of dissatisfaction for those.

I have a re-shipping agent in FL but that can really cost (me) to use. No customs form needed from you, just a printout of the eBay sale showing the value needs to be included and they do the rest. Would you consider shipping to there? You have some really great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 1944GPW View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Just curious, you also sell other non computer-related items to overseas customers (with customs forms presumably needed) and am just wondering if you have the same level of dissatisfaction for those.
    I have a re-shipping agent in FL but that can really cost (me) to use. No customs form needed from you, just a printout of the eBay sale showing the value needs to be included and they do the rest. Would you consider shipping to there? You have some really great stuff.
    You probably saw that I've been selling a bunch of WWII Japanese flags/banners. For those, I assumed there would be some interest from Japanese bidders, so I opened it up to international. But the French guy I mentioned above is the only foreign bidder I got, so it really wasn't worth it.
    What would sometimes be useful is to block foreign bidding on individual items (such as the Tek o-scope), while allowing it on others. AFAIK, I only have that type of control over shipping options, not on bidding options.

Regarding the re-shipper: The eBay sale printout can come from you (buyer), right? If it adds ANY extra steps for me, I'm not inclined to do it. The reason: If there is any glitch in the process, then I am asked to help fix it (like with the French-guy example, where he's far away, and not a native English speaker, so he needs help, but his son in Miami is apparently useless). But with regards to you (specifically), since we have a 'relationship' here on this forum, then yes I would do it.

Pete

Here's an idea:
    Since I'm being 'stubborn' about the overseas shipping thing, to help out the non-U.S. folks, if you (in the U.S.) are willing to act as a 'proxy' for a friend overseas, then I would like to give a discount on the eBay sale, to help defray the cost of re-shipment and such. I'll say 10% minimum; more if I think you paid too much for my junque .
    I know that nearly everyone here is "good people", and I don't want to exclude folks due to their location. All in the spirit of international understanding and cooperation, etc.! My wife and in-laws are Japanese, my daughters are (duh) half Japanese, so there's at least one non-U.S. culture I can appreciate.

Also, I've got two DRV11's and one DRV11-J that didn't sell on eBay. Also a DLV11 (M7940) that I think does NOT work (not responding on Qbus). I believe the DRV's work - they at least respond on Qbus. Would someone like all 4 of them for $65 SHIPPED Priority Mail in the U.S.? The 'winner' is the first positive response to my e-mail (NOT a PM on the forum, which I tend to overlook). The e-mail address is my forum handle, followed by (at) Q.com .

Pete

Thanks to those that may have participated in my auctions!

New stuff listed:
    Set of 7 M9047 Qbus grant cards
    M9312 Unibus boot/term
    M9400+M9401
    MXV11
    MRV11 with TU58 boot PROMs
    REV11
    H9270 quad X 4 backplane, looks "unused"
    KD11-F 11/03 CPU
    MSV11-QA 1MB RAM
    MSV11-QA 1MB RAM (another)

Pete