Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM P70 ESDI Hard Drive issue

Default IBM P70 ESDI Hard Drive issue

Greetings all,

This is a strange one here. I am having issues with the ESDI hard drive for my IBM P70 portable machine. If I pull the hard drive out of the back, leave it connected and power the P70 up, it works perfectly. Every single time. Once I install the drive back in the machine, the hard drive starts making some clanky sounds during memory check and I get the dreaded 10482 (fixed disk controller) error. If I pull it out again, it works perfectly. I'm thinking of replacing the cable from motherboard to controller card but they are hard to come by and are pretty pricey on eBay. Was looking for some thoughts and advice on this before I purchase a replacement cable.

Thanks !!!

I have a P70 drive cage, EMC shield plate and cable, for not a lot plus Postage at cost. Nominate any bits you do and don't want (Shipping by Air being so expensive by weight).

Rather than replacing the cable I'd check for a short when the drive is installed in its bay. You might be able to insulate the drive's circuit board and see what that does.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Guys, thank you for the responses. I have purchased another cable and I have the same issue. It looks like I am getting some type of interference (maybe EMI) from another board or device once I install the hard drive. The drive goes nuts and fails once I start inserting it into the case. Even when not installed all the way, I just poke the front of the drive into the case. Is there some type of grounding wire that might be missing ? Can some share what there's looks like ? It's definitely not a short and some type of interference going on.

WBST - What size drive do you have ? I currently have a 60 MB but would love a 120 MB as that's what this unit was shipped with.

Thanks !!

Wrap it in tinfoil. Seriously. Insulated tinfoil.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Thanks Stone. Tried that but still same issue. I think my issue points to what a fellow VCF user pointed out in a post I just dug up. Here is was he posted:

Now, this is an area of fact and supposition... Early 8573-P70 had issues with floppy read failures under Xenix or AIX, due to EMI inside the case. The source was tracked down to the original PSU design. The case halves had to be a tight fit, or the case halves would act as an antenna (credit to Don Hills from NZ). Two fixes were applied, depending on components and severity... Apply a 1/2" piece of copper tape on the PSU seams. Add a 1,000uF cap on the MCA slot riser.

And here is the original post what I copied and pasted above in regards to a floppy drive:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-58816.html

I had to dismantle the power supply a few months back to re-wire the floppy drive that someone did a hack wiring job with. I am going to pull it out and make sure the 2 halves and put back together properly along with adding some copper tape as suggested. Might also add in the capacitor.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaCJaX View Post
    WBST - What size drive do you have ? I currently have a 60 MB but would love a 120 MB as that's what this unit was shipped with.

Thanks !!
    I'm hanging on to my bigger DBA-ESDI (80MB and 120MB) drives for testing of a Model 90 with the "Artifact" connectors that I bought from Germany.

Maybe after I've got bored with that, although I also have a Model 70 with the IBM planar upgrade, which also supports the DBA-ESDI riser, so maybe not too.

Think I figured it out. After comparing my power supply with ones that are online, my PS is completely missing the metal housing that covers pretty much the entire supply. Looks like that last person that adding in the replacement floppy drive took out the power supply and never re-installed the metal housing. Anyway, I just ordered another PS on eBay. Pretty sure it was causing EMI that was interfering with the hard drive.

WBST - please keep me posted on that 120. I am definitely interested when you're ready to sell.

You could verify if that's actually the issue in less than five minutes with a piece of tinfoil. Don't be afraid of tinfoil -- it's your friend.

All fixed ! Turned out the replacement drive with the metal cage around it is what fixed it.

Thanks Stone ! - I actually did try the foil but it didn't work. I was a little nervous as didn't want to short anything so I probably didn't cover enough with it.