Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TU58 XXDP on PDP-11/05 with 8KW?

Blog Entries

Sheesh, Don - have mercy!
    I'll send you the ROM Real Soon Now (tm).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackrubin View Post
    Sheesh, Don - have mercy!
    I'll send you the ROM Real Soon Now (tm).
    Just kidding. I don't really need the physical PROM, just the 64W octal image dump would do, if you can put in in an M9312 and use ODT to dump the bits.

Otherwise I can read the physical prom as a hex file and disassemble the bits back to source (I wrote some tools to do that for all the other PROM images).

Don

As an aside, I suspect it is similar to the MSCP DU boot prom, but I tried writing an MU version based on documentation, and just could not get it to fit in 64W.
    So I am technically interested in what shortcut(s) DEC could take to get the MSCP command sequence for booting from an MU device.
    There may just be some magic pattern you shove into a register to make it happen. Just guessing. IDK.

Blog Entries

Not to worry - no offense taken. I don't have anything to run it in or read it on, but I'll send the board off to you this week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackrubin View Post
    Not to worry - no offense taken. I don't have anything to run it in or read it on, but I'll send the board off to you this week.
    I don't need any board, just the single MU boot prom (probably an 82S131 or similar 512x4 footprint compatible device). I'll just plug it into my PROM programmer and read it (an EEtools TopMaxII).

Quote Originally Posted by AK6DN View Post
    Just kidding. I don't really need the physical PROM, just the 64W octal image dump would do, if you can put in in an M9312 and use ODT to dump the bits.

Otherwise I can read the physical prom as a hex file and disassemble the bits back to source (I wrote some tools to do that for all the other PROM images).

Don

As an aside, I suspect it is similar to the MSCP DU boot prom, but I tried writing an MU version based on documentation, and just could not get it to fit in 64W.
    So I am technically interested in what shortcut(s) DEC could take to get the MSCP command sequence for booting from an MU device.
    There may just be some magic pattern you shove into a register to make it happen. Just guessing. IDK.
    Some rumor had it that you wrote a magic sequence into the CSR for the TMSCP, yes. A vague memory of mine is that it was the word for "MU". But that is all hearsay. I have never seen the actual rom.
    And I know that others have also tried and failed to get the code to fit in 64 words.