Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCSI Terminator for VAXstation 3100 M30

Default SCSI Terminator for VAXstation 3100 M30

I recently obtained two VAXstation 3100 M30's in semi-working condition (one has memory issues and one PSU is broken -- haven't investigated any further yet.) I combined the two so for now I have one working VAXstation. The only issue I'm having right now is that the built-in RZ24-E doesn't get recognized. I assume this is because the proprietary SCSI terminator (DEC P/N 12-29635-01) isn't installed. So my question is: has anyone made their own?

It looks like you can just buy one for $20.00 here. Not sure what the Shipping would be though.

http://www.varx.com/mwp/CABLES/12-29635-01.HTML

Depending on what SCSI hardware you have in your 3100, I'm assuming the scsi terminator you're referring to is on the back, you may not need it as the VS3100 can have two SCSI busses, one internal and one external.

If anything, the first thing I'd check is to see what SCSI ID the drive is set to. If it's set to 6 then you'll need to change it as the SCSI controller ID is 6, if I recall correctly.

Also, are you getting any errors after the self-test is done?
    Collector of all things Digital, but mostly VAXes and corporate knick-knacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclops View Post
    It looks like you can just buy one for $20.00 here. Not sure what the Shipping would be though.

http://www.varx.com/mwp/CABLES/12-29635-01.HTML
    I'm in Germany, so shipping will likely be expensive. My next visit to the US is in april though, so if I can't get it before then I might be able to order from them. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post
    Depending on what SCSI hardware you have in your 3100, I'm assuming the scsi terminator you're referring to is on the back, you may not need it as the VS3100 can have two SCSI busses, one internal and one external.

If anything, the first thing I'd check is to see what SCSI ID the drive is set to. If it's set to 6 then you'll need to change it as the SCSI controller ID is 6, if I recall correctly.

Both of my VAXstation 3100 M30s have the SCSI-1 & ST-506 board, so they need the SCSI Terminator on the back. The controller ID is 6, the drive is set to ID 3.

I uploaded some images (screen photos) here: https://imgur.com/a/UVNI8rj . I don't see any relevant errors.

I know I found the pinouts for the 68pin SCSI connector on the back at some point, but I can't seem to find it anymore? I'm pretty sure I still have some 220Ω and 330Ω resistor packs somewhere, so it shouldn't be to hard to make my own terminator.

Everything looks fine to me, even the RX23 is showing up.

I did manage to find someone selling them on eBay, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163465931922

I've never had to make one myself, but it's doable I'm sure. No idea where the pinout can be located and it's not in the maintenance guide i have.

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post

Also, make sure the internal drive is at the end of the cable (I think there is room/cabling inside for 2 drives), and has terminators installed (should be resistor SIP packs on the drive). Unfortunately, all my 3100's are 3 piles deep while I sheetrock the storage room so I can't look to see how they are configured.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Bitly View Post
    Also, make sure the internal drive is at the end of the cable (I think there is room/cabling inside for 2 drives), and has terminators installed (should be resistor SIP packs on the drive). Unfortunately, all my 3100's are 3 piles deep while I sheetrock the storage room so I can't look to see how they are configured.

CW
    There is room for 2 drives inside, but the cable is a loop (never seen this in any other system.) I remember reading somewhere that the host adapter is on one end and the loop leads back to the external connector. So no need to terminate anything inside, but the external connector must have the terminator installed. If I understand correctly, that is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdx View Post
    There is room for 2 drives inside, but the cable is a loop (never seen this in any other system.) I remember reading somewhere that the host adapter is on one end and the loop leads back to the external connector. So no need to terminate anything inside, but the external connector must have the terminator installed. If I understand correctly, that is.
    I don't think mine has an external terminator, but its all SCSI. I think I used a SCSI2SD because the M30 needs a boot drive < 1gb and that has a terminator on board...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Just a thought and to cover another potential issue, is the drive known to be working?

I have a 3100/30 with a SCSI/ST-506 and the external terminator and can check it when I'm home.