Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to multiboot diferent dos versions.

Blog Entries

Default best way to multiboot diferent dos versions.

Have a 386 and a big 80 gig drive on it (using xtide)
    can do 5 primary 2 gig partitions fat 16.
    I could like just for fun to have drdos freedos and msdos and multiboot between them, searched on the web and its not easy to get a correct answer for this most of the info is for later systems using windows xp and propietary software that is for modern system.

Could love to hear some suggestions from people that know how to do this kind of thing, of course is important i suppose that the C: drive is the partition from when you boot from ? so things don't get to much messed up.

Blog Entries

There are lots of multiboot utilities; Partition Magic, if you like the old traditional ones. GRUB for DOS is a good recent one.

I like Partition Magic been using it for years, I use Boot Magic to boot between DOS 6.22 and 98SE and have a Compact flash adapter accessible from the rear in my Tweener so i can load older DOS or whatever and boot from the CF, I don't need the XUB on it.

I do this routinely on all my retro systems. There are several (freeware and open source) utilities available. My favorite one is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyMon_Bootmanager

I like it a lot. Unfortunately you'll need a 486 or higher. You can have up to 36 parts on one hard drive!!

So for 386 systems I use this one instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranish_Partition_Manager

I use version 2.37 since I need more partitions than the standard 4. Unlike symon you have to create a small partition at the beginning of the drive and this prevents the creation of a permanent Windows 3.x swap file (does anybody know a workaround to this problem?).

With the above boot managers I boot 5 or 6 different OSs on every computer I own. I create 5 or 6 independent primary partitions and hide them one from each other, finally I create an extended partition universally visible to share data among all installed OSs.

For small drives (<100MB) creation of a lot of parts it's impractical so I use another utility: PC Magazine's MBOOT. It allows to boot up to 4 different DOS versions from the same partition.

https://books.google.es/books?id=LIp...page&q&f=false

I can provide you a binary and the source code of version 1.1 if you are interested.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dieymir View Post
    I do this routinely on all my retro systems. There are several (freeware and open source) utilities available. My favorite one is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyMon_Bootmanager

I like it a lot. Unfortunately you'll need a 486 or higher. You can have up to 36 parts on one hard drive!!

So for 386 systems I use this one instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranish_Partition_Manager

I use version 2.37 since I need more partitions than the standard 4. Unlike symon you have to create a small partition at the beginning of the drive and this prevents the creation of a permanent Windows 3.x swap file (does anybody know a workaround to this problem?).

With the above boot managers I boot 5 or 6 different OSs on every computer I own. I create 5 or 6 independent primary partitions and hide them one from each other, finally I create an extended partition universally visible to share data among all installed OSs.

For small drives (<100MB) creation of a lot of parts it's impractical so I use another utility: PC Magazine's MBOOT. It allows to boot up to 4 different DOS versions from the same partition.

https://books.google.es/books?id=LIp...page&q&f=false

I can provide you a binary and the source code of version 1.1 if you are interested.
    Thanks for the information, i have used ranish partition manager a lot in the past version 2.44 the boot manager was not good at all.
    Now i tried the 2.37 version and got how the advanced boot manager works, when you choose to boot a partition the others are automatic hidden.
    Is possible to have a partition that can be "shared" between different oses ?, so i don't have to install all software multiple times.

Blog Entries

I like System Commander.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    Thanks for the information, i have used ranish partition manager a lot in the past version 2.44 the boot manager was not good at all.
    Now i tried the 2.37 version and got how the advanced boot manager works, when you choose to boot a partition the others are automatic hidden.
    Is possible to have a partition that can be "shared" between different oses ?, so i don't have to install all software multiple times.
    Yes, create an extended partition with PART (type 05) at the end of the disk (it must be the last partition) and configure all the boot manager entries to see the "Last" partition (You have four options, Prev, Next, Last3 and Last). You must use another partition program, for example DOS FDISK, to create the logical volumes in the extended partition.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I like System Commander.
    Seconded. The gold standard for this in the '90s was System Commander, which could not only house multiple DOS versions in a single FAT16 partition, but also manage non-DOS OSes in other primary partitions.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Another thought is what I do for one of my "boot whatever" systems is to simply put a different system on each CF card, but keep a secondary hard disk to store common information. I'm not looking to boot solely DOS versions, but BSD, Linux, NT and 2K. It's easiest for me--just pop in the right card and boot.

Blog Entries

I have to try another boot method using ranish partition manager it works but i keep experiencing file system corruption on certain partitions.