Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to multiboot diferent dos versions.

Blog Entries

I'm just going to reiterate my suggestion to try System Commander. Assuming your BIOS, your DOS, and your actual filesystem layout all agree with each other, you can keep multiple DOSes in the same FAT12 partition.

If you're getting persistent filesystem corruption, your drive geometry is probably not being reported properly to the partition manager or vice versa.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Personally, I prefer using BootIt Bare Metal on my systems. It requires a 386 with 16MB of RAM, and I use it to boot multiple versions of DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux, you name it. You can also set it up so the operating systems (with their own boot partitions) can use a common drive/partition between all of them. Since you're talking about using multiple versions of DOS, make sure you're using a FAT-based file system on the common partition so all of your operating systems can see it.

It's not free ($39.99 USD), but for what I work on, I think it's worth the cost. Some specs can be found here: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=523

Hope that helps!

Jon

Blog Entries

Thanks NTEPB but i only have 1 meg xms on this 386 so i can't run this one.
    Going to try Trixter sugestion now, also i'm using XT-IDE bios on the disk geometry should be correct i suppose.

Blog Entries

If your 386 only has 1MB of RAM, you may want to start with System Commander v3. It runs on 286s and higher (and may work on 808x as well). Later versions started requiring 2MB or more as they ran in protected mode, included a graphical menu, a partition manager/resizer, etc. which you can't run on a 386 with 1MB.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Another option is to use a boot floppy.
    Dwight

Is Partition Magic the best way to install System Commander or are there other good methods available?

Tom, (AO), I know you use System Commander. Do you use, Partition Magic or something else?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Is Partition Magic required to install System Commander or are there other good methods available?
    No. It's a stand alone program and the best way (for me) is to install SC and then let it find your current system, then go forward with whatever OS's you have in mind. If you choose to remove SC and all of its associated files, you will then need to do a FDISK /MBR.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I asked because one of the methods I was reading up on describes setting up your partitions and OSes and then installing SC and have it configure itself to the already existing partitions and OSes. Have you ever tried it like that?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I asked because one of the methods I was reading up on describes setting up your partitions and OSes and then installing SC and have it configure itself to the already existing partitions and OSes. Have you ever tried it like that?
    Yeah, that a good way to go. I used to FDISK back in the day, but it would definitely be an easier way to go if you don't want to mess with a clean install. You'll like it.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I remember System Commander from back in the day, seems like everyone who was multibooting in the 90s used it