Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Imac g3

  1. #1

    Default Imac g3

    Didnt know where to put this...
    I juat bought a very nice and clean imac g3 (500mhz slot load). And i want to restore to factory. I dont have the discs but I did find the install disc files on a apple mac site. My question is, can i download and use a windows pc to burn theae to cds, and have the apple accept it or is the file system different to thr point id need an apple computer to make apple "accepted" discs?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,891
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Macs have always used HFS or a variant thereof whereas the PC is you probably know is derived from FAT, so yes the filesystems are different.
    Weather or not you can burn a mac disc image on a PC is up to what format the disc image was dumped as which then typically dictates what utility can be used to burn it back to a CD.

    The retail (not iMac specific) releases of 8.5 and 9 should detect the make and color theme of he imac and apply themes as such. Otherwise there is nothing else aside from bundled demos that you need to worry about when you want a factory restore and you don't have the original iMac media.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,384
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I've used a PC to burn ISOs for Mac CDs--no problem, at least for me. Note that the PC isn't doing anything with Mac files; it's just copying the contents of the CD for burning.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,773

    Default

    Yeah, as long as it's an ISO (or .toast file) you can usually burn with a PC. I use `cdrecord` under Linux nowadays, but have used Alcohol 120% under Windows in the past (other software that burns ISOs probably also works fine). If you have a DMG disk image, you'll probably need to convert it first.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Yeah, as long as it's an ISO (or .toast file) you can usually burn with a PC. I use `cdrecord` under Linux nowadays, but have used Alcohol 120% under Windows in the past (other software that burns ISOs probably also works fine). If you have a DMG disk image, you'll probably need to convert it first.
    Yep. I checked....the cd images are .toast files. So i can use a burning program like ....i think i have poweriso on my pc....to burn them?
    And one of the files is a dmg file....same thing or does that one need a specialized program?
    Seems old apple and dos era stuff my weak spots when it comes to computers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,773

    Default

    The .toast file should burn fine, you may have to change the extension to .iso to make Windows happy. The DMG will need converted or burned with a Mac, unless there's some Windows software that'll handle it (I don't regularly use Windows, so I don't know if there is or isn't).

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    The .toast file should burn fine, you may have to change the extension to .iso to make Windows happy. The DMG will need converted or burned with a Mac, unless there's some Windows software that'll handle it (I don't regularly use Windows, so I don't know if there is or isn't).
    It looks like the install CDs and files are .toast. The hardware test cd files are in dmg format but i dont think I'll need that disc since it seems the system is working fine, juat needs fresh install. I'll try this weekend to burn and reinstall os9 and see what happens

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New2vtgpc View Post
    It looks like the install CDs and files are .toast. The hardware test cd files are in dmg format but i dont think I'll need that disc since it seems the system is working fine, juat needs fresh install. I'll try this weekend to burn and reinstall os9 and see what happens
    Yeah, you don't need the diags CD to install. Also, you can burn the DMG file once you have the system up and running

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •